Carers premium — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers premium

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 44 Connected
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,320 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2019
    Hi,

He will only receive the carers premium if he's claiming carers allowance for looking after someone. If he's requested a Tribunal for his ESA then he'll receive assessment rate for ESA but he'll need to send in sick notes to be able to claim this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    You'll need to contact carers allowance and tell them you're now claiming the ESA again as a couple. The carers allowance will be deducted £1 for £1 for the ESA and then they will add the carers premium.

What award does he have for PIP/DLA?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    It will be added to the ESA but it can take several weeks for this to happen, it makes no difference whether you're in a group or on assessment rate, it's still added.  Once it's done then the total amount of ESA you'll receive is £85.55 per week and then carers allowance pay you £66.15 per week separately.
  • [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. They just read from a screen and very often they have no idea what they are talking about. What PIP award does he have? you didn't answer that question?
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    Then that's the only premium payable. As i said, it can take a few weeks after the carers allowance starts. You will be entitled to some backdated money, how much that will be will depend on long the ESA wasn't in payment for.

When i applied  for carers allowance it took ESA 3 weeks to pay me my backdated carers premium and even then i had to chase them for it because they made an error.

For the ESA to be backdated the sick note will need to be dated from the time he was found fit for work.
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    The ESA will be backdated to the date he was found fit for work 16/4. Also the carers premium will be backdated to the date your carers allowance was awarded from and will be paid by ESA not carers allowance.
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Yes, that's correct. You'll also receive the ESA £85.55 per week from the weeks that his ESA stopped.
  • [Deleted User]

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.