Permitted work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Permitted work

Options
Daiseydot
Daiseydot Community member Posts: 10 Listener
I been receiving employment and support allowance for many years along with dla for mobility issues, last September I had an esa assessment and scored 0 points assessor lied made things up, got money stopped in December, did mandatory reconsideration and same scored 0 points, went to tribunal and won so back in support group, I panicked about loosing my flat, I couldn’t claim universal credit because I couldn’t commit to looking for work and I no I would of been under pressure about looking for work handing out cv etc, I decided to have ago at making memorial jewellery for purpose of being self employed and try claim tax credits, then that way I wouldn’t have dwp on my case, i quite like doing it and it’s something I can do from home this doesn’t contradict anything that has got me into the support group.
if I asked could I do permitted work what happens do you phone up weekly tell them if you gone over the 131.50 if you have do they just deduct the extra out of my esa payment, does it affect housing if it went over 131.50 week, does anyone no of any hidden problems they have come across by doing permitted work, appreciate any info people might have, is it a good idea or does it end up a nightmare

thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

You can't claim tax credits and do permitted work under ESA at the same time, it doesn't work like that. Also tax credits no longer exist for new claims because all areas are now a full UC area.

If you're planning on doing permitted work then you'll need to get permission from DWP and fill out a PW1 form before starting work. You mustn't earn more than £131.50 per week and any weeks you earn more than that you won't be entitled to ESA for those weeks. Earnings from permitted work don't affect any other benefits you claim, such as housing benefit and council tax reduction. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Daiseydot
    Options
    Hi
    If I had lost at my tribunal I was going to go on universal credit but self employed it was my only choice, as I can’t get out every day to go to a job. I did win esa tribunal and now I bought stuff to make the jewellery, if I get permission I was thinking of the permitted work route to see how they sold, so if I earned £150 one week Which took me £18.50 over what’s allowed for instance I’d loose a total weeks payment of esa not just the bit extra I’d gone over, do you need to pay national insurance on permitted work 

thanks 
  • Daiseydot
    Options
    Do you ring in weekly to confirm if you earned anything 
  • poppy123456
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Self employed Permitted work and ESA rules are complicated. You will need to keep accounts for the money you earn because DWP will ask for these. You should get some face to face advice from an agency near you.

Do be aware that if the work you do contradicts the reasons for your ESA claim then this can go against you the next time you're re-assessed.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Daiseydot
    Options
    Thank you for your reply’s I will go cab get all details 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Daiseydot, I see Poppy has answered your questions regarding permitted work so just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the community!
    Memorial jewellery sounds great, how did you get into making them? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Daiseydot
    Options
    Hi Adrian
    I had to have an esa assessment in September been getting esa for many years I scored 0 points and two weeks before Christmas they cancelled my money, I have severe mobility issues and some days I’m in agony, I couldn’t commit to universal credit in looking for work as I know some days I wouldn’t be able to make it, my daughter horse had died and she been thinking of getting a memorial piece of jewellery, so after giving myself a crash course off you tube I decided to make some and then if tribunal declined my esa, I would be ready to self employed work from home, it’s best I could come up with so I could claim universal credit help with rent my home was on line, I got a yes at tribunal so now all stuff I got would go to waste hence thinking of trying out permitted work, I need to know do you ring them up weekly and tell them what you have earned, I no it’s £131.50 a week if I earned 150 one week is it just the difference I loose out of esa or is it the full esa payment for that week, appreciate it if you no answer. I just started the dla to pip transfer so that could go tits up yet 
    thanks 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You will need to keep accounts for your self employed work because DWP will ask to see them, they won't just take your word for it.
  • Daiseydot
    Options
    Yes that wouldn’t be problem, do you no if you contact them weekly with figures 
    thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Did you get some face to face advice like i advised? self employed and permitted work rules are extremely complicated.
  • Daiseydot
    Options
    I will do when I can get appointment 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.