Spinal injections - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Spinal injections

2»

Comments

• maggieomx
    maggieomx Community member Posts: 131 Courageous
    Im on duragesic patches which is fentynal you might be on a different patch iv to replace mine on every 3days
  • bonnielassie
    bonnielassie Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    @fatherinpain hi I was referred to St Thomas hospital from Shropshire. There are other hospitals that do the implant but I was told that St Thomas was the most experienced so I chose to go there. I don't know where you live so I just recommended St Thomas
  • bonnielassie
    bonnielassie Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    @fatherinpain hi don't forget that pain management is  not what you want at St Thomas, but Input Pain Management. You'll be assessed by a psychiatrist, physiotherapist and/or an occupational therapist. Just realised I said I'd send you the link. I'm so sorry but I get forgetful - I'll do it now!
  • fatherinpain
    fatherinpain Community member Posts: 177 Courageous
  • CJM
    CJM Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    hello fatherinpain thought I'd just check in and see how you're getting on? Might also be worth talking to Dr about trying a course of SCENAR therapy, it's also something you can look up, doesn't work for everyone but worth trying to find out for yourself? Hope you are finding some relief in the meantime. 
  • zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    @fatherinpain in pain
    @zakblood
    Hi both of you- how are you feeling today? I noticed somebody else had suggested St Thomas, but @fatherinpain I might be wrong but it sounds as though you went to the ordinary pain clinic. What you want is the input pain management section. They should really help you. They're on 02071887188. It's worth a try, and if I got it wrong I'm sorry. @zakblood. You seem to have given a link to the right department thank you.
    im back at the pain clinic on Monday at 8.30am so will let you know, what i was offered 20 years ago, wasn't such a high success than what is now done, so i'm now hoping that i get offered something else to suit me and tbh i can't cope with it getting much worse than it is now, while at first 20 years ago it just made me grind my teeth somewhat some of the time, the pain is now starting to effect me more and more and the Tramadol no longer is working for my back let alone my sciatica, as that's about as bad as it's gets for me, and while 20 years ago i had it maybe once every 3 or 4 months, but only lasted a short time, less than a week most of the time, but upto 2 some of it, now i'm having a flare up almost once a month, but depends each time for how long it last, a week or 3 now is somewhat more common, so find it now harder to live with, and the reason for going back to the pain clinic on Monday, with a bit of luck they will either take me off Tramadol and put me on something stronger, as 12 years for now it seems to have run it's coarse with me and my body, or shoot me and put me out of my misery lol, but as these are now the first port or call before getting offered surgery, i'll let you all know how i get on, and what's the next stage for me, fingers crossed it's not too long a waiting list, but what's time when i've had it 20+ years already, mind you first diagnosed back in 1999 doesn't seem now that long ago tbh, so good luck everyone and yes i know what your going through, and yes i also know there's plenty worse, been in the MR room and seen 12 year old with the same, which must be a lot worse, as i've had at least most of my life ok.
  • zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    oh and before i forget, i failed a WCA for the ESA in April of this year, so 58 days ago now without a penny until the tribunal hearing is sorted after MR, i'm in MR atm, but that won't get a reply for another up to 2 weeks then maybe a year or longer as there behind for Tribunal where i am, so 20+ years with a confirmed illness and still under treatment on a yearly basis and still the DWP says i'm now fit for work, lol after now 5 assessments, ah well they like us to jump through hoops, so i'll just hop through another one and smile and be grateful for the handout, then grin
  • dowhatyoucant
    dowhatyoucant Community member Posts: 13 Courageous
    Hi @fatherinpain, this is my first post but you're in the very same situation I was a few years ago and I've joined this community because I want to help people like you learn about options that can help mange pain like this that perhaps you have not yet learned about.

I was diagnosed with DDD back in 2013 (and 2 bulging discs), and received 2 spinal epidurals to try and manage the pain. The first one worked wonders! I felt zero pain, for about 3 days, then it came back as if it'd never gone away. The second epidural was about 50% as effective as the first, so I decided not to do those anymore. Bad risk to benefit ratio.

I tried dry needling next, and that worked surprisingly well, but again only for a short period of time. What you'll learn is that all these pain interventions are are only temporary. What ultimately has to happen to prevent further degeneration of your already degenerating discs (and other joints) and possibly undoing some of the damage is utilizing the body's own mechanisms for addressing pain. This is NOT a secret or a foreign concept, I literally just heard a doctor talking about this on the radio yesterday, but it's simply loading those vulnerable joints with what the doctor yesterday referred to as "odd loading", aka "progressive resistance". 

It's the body's basic ability to receive a stressor (appropriate one), recover from that stress, and adapt for future stresses. One day builds on another, and for me I went from struggling to tie my shoes and sometimes even stand up to being able to resume normal sport activity and even lift hundreds of pounds (half that in kilos, lol) over the course of a few years.

The process involves a combination of things - learning proper posture, exercising with the body in these better postures, stretching muscles that have shortened from bad postures or prolonged static positions, and then progressively loading your bodies musculature through its anatomically functional movements. Sorry if this sounds overly complicated, but it simply means learning how to incorporate resistance training into your recovery so your body (bones, muscles, joints and soft tissues) get stronger every single week. 

I had been active and even exercised almost daily for more than a decade and still wound up with DDD, but after learning what proper posture actually is while sitting, standing, walking and doing other basic movements like a squat (sitting down then standing up), hinging (bending over to pick things up), lunging, pushing, pulling, etc., all of a sudden my hips were looser, my back wasn't tight, everything got stronger, and my back hasn't gone out since I started training differently! 

Hope this is helpful to you and I'd be happy to share more with you if you think it would be helpful.

- Ben 

Ben C.
    CSCS/CPT/SNS

Brightness