Pip report — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip report

stonker01
stonker01 Community member Posts: 51 Connected
So got a copy of my partners assessment report and it's based on physical issues not mental.
Says things like could walk to the assessment room fine no signs of issues with limbs etc didn't struggle to breathe while walking 
Got to laugh as it also says stood up during the entire assessment but then says sat with the assessor comfortable in a chair and at the end of the assessment got up from the chair fine using 2 arms with no issues 
My partners claim is for mental health issues never once tried to claim my partner couldn't walk 
Even says had 1 to 1 teaching at school and got maths and English qualifications 
My partner never finished high school or gained a grade due to mental health problems ... this wasn't even asked anyway.
Are you only allowed to apply for pip if you have a physical disability then because it seems this assessment was based on that 

Comments

• Bluey32
    Bluey32 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    They always seem to put people in the same category all people are not disabled in the same way. Some you can't see like your partner. I hope you get it soon x
  • stonker01
    My partner has a previous award for mental health issues but now 0 for everything 
    My partner struggles with society a lot 
    Can't interact well with others or meeting new people 
    Strangers are a major challenge she can't do one to ones with strangers and struggles to describe or express herself even to her own GP they get the jist from me.
    The nearest she was asked about her mental health was 
    Is your condition getting worse and my partner said now diagnosed PTSD 
    That was it. Didn't ask about anxiety OCD depression BDD and said I won't speak about your PTSD I'm not here for that I don't want to cause anymore distress.
    1st question was who cooks and she said my partner she wasn't asked why 
    The answer says that she said she can but won't lol
    My partner doesn't because she is dangerous. I've noticed many years ago that my partner actually has little common sense sounds awful but an example is that I once asked her to get the chips out of the oven she opened the door and grabbed the tray with her hand. Doesn't test water to see if it's to hot to touch. Little things like that. Becomes increasingly stressed at tasks.
    Anyway my partner wasn't asked as many questions as what's on the form and says she thanked the assessor for being understanding oh my days lol I've no words 
    My partner wouldn't thank him he's a stranger she barely spoke to him. It's a main reason she struggles to go to mental health for help. 
    Just goes on about her limbs lives in a house with stairs she can get in and out of a car and walked to the assessment room haha 
    Is this dude serious 

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2019
    @stonker01 - don't know a lot about MH so I can only suggest that your partner asks for a Mandatory Reconsideration. 

You've mentioned two examples of how your partner is unsafe. I'd check through the original application and make sure that there are plenty of similar examples in each area where your partner believes that she should score points.

Good luck

PS Personally I think the example of taking food out of the oven is a good one - but don't forget that 'Preparing food' considers using a hob or microwave above waist height - not an oven (don't ask me why!)
  • stonker01
    edited May 2019
    Phoned and found out MR changed nothing 
    Microwave oh my days she blew one up years ago putting a metal mixing bowl in it 
    She's clumsy as well 
    The error of she stood for the entire assessment but then says was sat comfy and got up from the chair fine using 2 arms makes loads of sense 
    My partner has no idea she has grades in maths and English well done to who ever did her exams for her while not there lol 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

As the MR decision remained the same you now have 1 month from that decision to request the Tribunal. I realise the lies in the report are very annoying but the Tribunal won't be interested in any of those. The won't appreciate you mentioning them. You need to state where she should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 real life examples of what happened the last time she attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to her.

Waiting times are huge across most of the country so you could be waiting in excess of 1 year for a hearing date. Appearing in person will give her the best chance of a decision in her favour. Having representation will increase her chances even more.

This link will help you find what's in your area for expert advice. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • stonker01
    Hi yes I know I've got her a good representive through our local MP 
    I'm so frustrated at how it concentrated more on physical disability no matter what was put on the form to fill,  it seems the assessor has only been trained in one frame of mind.
    A lot of people have full use of there limbs with mental health issues this shouldn't even be part of the assessment unless someone is stating it is an issue in there forms or medical evidence. My partner has not tried to say she has a back neck legs or arms issue
    Simply can't go out alone struggles face to face
    Strangers are the worst example he would of seen this 100% as he is the stranger 
    My partner could walk up to a cooker and see and reach the tops fine 
    Doesn't mean she can cook on them though 
    Maybe the assessor should try and make her cook haha if he wants to live 
    What's he going to do give her a plastic knife to cut up a spud just in case she gets stressed out and launches the knife or he could wear a full coat of armour 
    Sound of pots and pans send her crazy I've managed to master chopping carrots quietly 
    He has no idea and wasn't interested because she can walk 
    My partner could possibly out run the assessor in a race doesn't mean she is capable of attending that race due to anxiety and being around people or strangers.
    I could go on its totally barbaric 
    She struggled to answer the few questions he asked yet he didn't state this instead has pretended she answered all 12 verbally when he could of said she clearly really struggled 
    Why didn't he??
    Seems the assessments are not fit for MH claimants 
    Apologies for the rant it's heart breaking 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.