Has anyone used an Acapella breathing device ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone used an Acapella breathing device ?

CockneyRebel
CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
The team leader of my respiritory care team has shown me an Acapella breathing device but due to the cost GP's are unwilling to fund the cost. At a cost of £70 - £100 for a vibrating plastic tube it is a big expense so wondered if anyone has used one and what success did you have ?
Thanks
Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @CockneyRebel Thank you for sharing this with us. I am sorry to hear your GP are unwilling to fund this. Did they offer any alternatives? Some of our members may have had experience with an Acapella breathing device., and can offer some advice. How are you doing today?
  • CockneyRebel
    I'm doing good thanks. I don't know of any alternative to the plastic tube thing, might have to try and buy one to see if, how and why they work/cost a lot
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Hi @CockneyRebel thank you for your reply. Oh I see, there's some information on a acapella choice from the GOSH website, that may give you a rough idea about the breathing device. Hopefully a member in the community has used this before and share their experiences with you.
  • CockneyRebel
    Thanks for that Antonia. I have a COPD reveiw on friday so will ask again
  • Antonia_Alumni
    You're welcome @CockneyRebel. Okay, I hope it goes well and keep us posted. ;)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @CockneyRebel, sorry if I've missed this elsewhere but just wondering how your review went? Did you get anywhere with your request? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Joely
    Joely Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Yes I’ve had two of them.  Medicare has been good for me😊. And yes Acapellas are wonderful but..  my problem is thick mucus. Yes the device  loosens it  easily however the device gets junked-up in a day or two and here’s my rub. Cleaning instructions say take it apart and wash etc. damned if I can get the covers off to demuvacize it.  Now you know.  

Still blasting mucus in COlorado, ugh!  Good day!

Brightness