ESA going from income related to contribution — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA going from income related to contribution

Options
V8sonic
V8sonic Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I need help,I've been taken off income related ESA to contribution ESA, the reason the dwp says is that my partner works 16 hours a week at minimum wage,they've know about my partner working from the very beginning, that was March 2017,then January of this year they changed me over,it took till the end of February/March to find out way,I've lost all my enhanced payments, I've got to pay more rent as my housing benefit has been reduced, can anyone tell me if this decision is right,I've tried arguing with the dwp,but all I get back is whilst my partner is working I've got to stay on  contribution ESA,. Many thanks in advance 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @V8sonic welcome to the community! Sorry to hear what has happened. I am unsure however our community members will know and will be in contact with you soon to advise. Please let us know if you have any further questions :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,063 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When claiming Income related ESA a partners earnings are counted as income. They will be allowed to earn £20 per week before the Income related top up is affected. Anything over this amount that your partner earns your Income related ESA will be deducted £1 for £1. If you were claiming just the Enhanced disability premium in your ESA then your partner working 16 hours per week would reduce that to zero. Contributions based ESA isn't affected.

I agree with Mike that is seems like their decision is correct but no one can tell you for sure on a forum.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.