DLA to PIP Back Pay — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA to PIP Back Pay

shella
shella Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
This is very confusing I have read posts on internet were people saying they received back pay after transferring to PIP. It is my understanding that you do not get back dated if you transferred over to PIP but if it was a new claim then it would be backdated. all the posts I have read about this never commented if they did get back pay. soooo this is for anyone out there that was on DLA and invited to claim PIP did you get any back pay.

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I was on DLA, reassessed for PIP, got standard, appealed, got enhanced, was awarded arrears of difference between standard and enhanced back to when DLA stopped.
  • shella
    Matilda said:
    I was on DLA, reassessed for PIP, got standard, appealed, got enhanced, was awarded arrears of difference between standard and enhanced back to when DLA stopped.
    Thank you 
  • shella
     Matilda situation is the same as mine looks like I might be owed some back pay.
    Other things if you migrate from DLA then you dont get ant back pay
     I cannot find the answer to this..... what is the difference between a migration and a new claim.PIP
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Migration to PIP from DLA is automatically moved over from one to another.

any new claims, I think, are for PIP as DLA is no longer available to claim, I think

• Matilda
    edited April 2018
    shella

Migration is when you are on DLA but are reassessed for PIP and get it.  New claim for PIP would be if you have never claimed PIP before, or claimed PIP and were turned down, or were getting PIP but lost it after reassessment and made a fresh claim, or were getting DLA but didn't get PIP after reassessment and made fresh claim for PIP.
  • susan48
    @Matilda thanks for clarifying that properly.
  • Matilda
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Migrated and payment started a month after the award.
    I would still think that even a new claim is paid from the award date, not the date you put in the claim. But I accept I might be wrong as honestly can't recall what happened with DLA all those years ago.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • susan48
    Iv was never on DLA so I’m guessing. Sorry if it’s not correct 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    If transferring from DLA to PIP and the claim is successful then there's no back pay for PIP. Payments for PIP will start 4 weeks after your DLA stops.

If it's a new PIP claim and you weren't claiming DLA previously then back pay is paid from the day you rang to start your claim and not from when the decision is made.

If when transferring from DLA to PIP and you're not successful, your DLA will stop 4 weeks after a decision is made on the PIP. If you appeal the decision and win at either MR stage or Tribunal payments will then be backdated to when your DLA stopped.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dee4848
    dee4848 Community member Posts: 256 Pioneering
    Pip is an invitation to claim you have a choice to claim or not 
  • shella
    dee4848 said:
    Pip is an invitation to claim you have a choice to claim or not 
     I said that in my post but being realistic who would make a new claim in the four weeks you have no money coming in and if you fail you still wont have any money coming in. as far as I know your DLA would stop leaving anyone high and dry. They did it to save money so all of us t(he people who were invited and had no clue) were conned out of our rightful money If i had known I would at least have a choice.    
  • Matt76
    Matt76 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I was on DLA lower rate for care higher for mobility, i was not asked to go for pip i was told that i had too, when the accessor came numerous months later as they kept loosing the form they moved me to higher rate care and mobility. Sadly because i was on DLA before moving to PIP they refused to backdate anything, have to ask how is this fair or does this need to be taken to the high court ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    Matt76 said:
    I was on DLA lower rate for care higher for mobility, i was not asked to go for pip i was told that i had too, when the accessor came numerous months later as they kept loosing the form they moved me to higher rate care and mobility. Sadly because i was on DLA before moving to PIP they refused to backdate anything, have to ask how is this fair or does this need to be taken to the high court ?
    When transferring from DLA to PIP if your PIP award is higher than DLA was then there's no backdated money, never has been. There's nothing to appeal here. If a claimant is refused PIP when transferring from DLA  DWP don't ask them to repay any of their DLA money back.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.