Appointment is tomorrow, can they force you to go by public transport? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appointment is tomorrow, can they force you to go by public transport?

Options
scotschick7
scotschick7 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
Hi everyone. I was just looking for some advice. I got sent an esa50 filled it out and got an appointment with just under 3 weeks notice.  I suffer from MHP long term depression, agoraphobia, ptsd. I contacted my GP who faxed over a letter on the 10th  on my behalf explaining how i cannot use public transport  due to the extreme distress it would cause and suggested a taxi. I also had a supporting letter from my Phsyciatrist saying similar. When I rang the enquiry line they said they have recieved neither. My appointment is tomorrow and I was told to phone back if nothing so I did and they said it was cancelled 2 days ago and told me they would arrange another appointment. I feel like i can't cope and they domt care I have sent away evidence and lrovkded4the information they asked for as quickly as possible. Has this happened to anyone else and ca. they force you to go by public transport? I am struggling to cope right now so sorry for the long post my anxiety is so high and I feel so low I struggle to cope with any change and its took so much to get ready for tomorrow. The centre is nearly 30 miles away I struggle to leave my house or street.

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Hi @scotschick7 welcome to the community :) I am really sorry to hear that they did not receive your letter and cancelled your appointment. I do not think they can force you to take public transport, I got this from the Citizen Advice website: 

"If you can only travel by taxi, you need to telephone before the assessment on 0800 288 8777 to let the Health Assessment Advisory Service know. They’ll then get a healthcare professional to consider your request and will let you know if they’ll cover your taxi fare." Someone can come along with you to the assessment, for support if you'd like. 

Mind have some great tips on self care for anxiety , if you feel like you cannot cope please get in touch with your GP, call 999 or go to your local hospital.

I hope this helps and please keep us updated, we are all here to support you, @scotschick7

Best wishes.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

You said they canceled the appointment and then you say it's for tomorrow? Did they send you another appointment?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • scotschick7
    Options
    Hi @Antonia_Scope Thank you for the swift reply. I was so worked up I did not word it properly. The fax was in support of a home visit or a taxi to the centre. I was sat there s my GP typed it up and took fax number etc. I just don't understand where this fax went. I can understand the letter getting lost or held up. I know I am probably worrying too much but i fear they send a new app at short notice expecting me to go by public transport. I also managed to get someone to come with me but now might not be free as this has all been cancelled. On the up side tracking said my letter from therapist has been signed for. I just feel so in limbo hopefully I hear from my GP again tomorrow as they said they would try to fax another away. I feel like such a burden. I am going to call someone to talk to. I will keep this updated through it my assessment. thanks again. (Sometimes I wish my brain is n off switch)
  • scotschick7
    Options
    @poppy123456 Hi sorry probably not the best wording. My appointment was for tomorrow but I spoke to them today and they said it was cancelled 2 days ago on their system. I am just worried as so far the have lost an esa50, not received a fax from GP and my therapist letter has been recieved but not on the system. I am concerned what will happen next will i have adequate time to get a letter from my GP etc. They never explained much just  they would be in touch again. I hadn'tasked to cancel it as was told i couldn't until today but the cancelled it on Monday on my behalf and never told me. Sorry to go on not the best with explaining
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If they cancel the assessment and it's not showing on the computer then no, you won't need to attend the assessment for tomorrow because it's been canceled. I'd advise you to ring them again tomorrow morning when they open just to double check that the appointment has been canceled. Did you receive a letter or text message confirming the appointment had been canceled?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • scotschick7
    Options
    No the opposite a txt from dwp reminding me to attend today. I called this morning though and my doctor had managed to fax another supporting letter over. My appointment will now be re arranged. Thank you for your repliess and sorry for my crazy typing. It just seems like a lot of back log going on. I am relieved as I just wanted things to go as smoothly as possible after last experience but now seeing this does happen a lot. I probably just taken it personally because of how I feel. I appreciate your replies will update when I have my f2f. Thank you both
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Hi @scotschick7 how are you? Thanks for your reply and no worries at all. I see, I can understand how you feel. I hope you hear from your GP and hopefully you get some feedback regarding your appointment and letters. 

Please do not feel like you're a burden, the assessment process can be stressful. So, please let us know how you are doing. :)
  • Harryfils
    Harryfils Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Options
    If they are unlawfully denying you the adjustments you need to attend, they are in violation of the Equality Act 2010. Contact The Equality Advisory & Support Service on 0808 800 0082. Tell them that they are making it unreasonably difficult for you to attend the assessment.
  • scotschick7
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Hi @Username_removed it was 'CHDA" that gave me the fax number and told me  to give it to my GP so she could send it to what he said was the relevant department. I don't know why my GP would agree to type it up but then not send it when you ring the number its a fax machine as I accidently phoned it myself. Thank you for your reply and the link
  • scotschick7
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. @Antonia_Scope CHDA have said they have recieved information from my doctor today. I am feeling calmer as now i know at least the info has reached them. The stress of traveling plus the assessment  has taken its toll I think I had a big wobble but feeling more reassured TY.  @Harryfils Thank you for sharing that information I will read into incase it is needed really appreciate the help and support on this site.  bless you all
  • Harryfils
    Harryfils Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Options
    Has anyone experienced having their ESA stopped and been told it is because you failed to attend the face to face assessment, despite not having received a letter informing you of it?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Harryfils said:
    Has anyone experienced having their ESA stopped and been told it is because you failed to attend the face to face assessment, despite not having received a letter informing you of it?
    I have only ever heard of 1 story of this happening. Are you asking because this has happened to you?
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The DWP assume that if they have sent a letter then you will receive it but not the other way round.
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • scotschick7
    Options
    @CockneyRebel That is so true hope you got it sorted ok!  update Just recieved another appointment no word of a taxi. Had to call again to be told I have been granted a taxi but might not receive a letter before my medical. I don't think one department knows what the other is doing. App in a fornight sick at the though but least I ain't been left in limbo. I will update after medical
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Best of luck @scotschick7, I'm glad they've finally sorted out a taxi for you (although frustrating the letter won't arrive before the assessment).
    Let us know how you get on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.