Help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help

Options
connoro007
connoro007 Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
edited June 2019 in Education
hi, I’ve been referred to for an ASD assessment which will take 11 months. I’ve tried to enter education and do my a levels twice and an access course 4 times. I didn’t go a lot of the time due to anxiety and I suffered burnouts that led to hospitalisation on two occasions. I just want to get somewhere in life, I enjoy learning about the human body and with my conditions (ADHD/GAD/history of self harm and suicide attempts) and a strong likelihood of ASD, i know that it will really impact my mental health if I can’t pursue what I enjoy. I spoke to the college today (the college counsellor, too nervous to speak to the tutor) and they said I would need an ok from my psychiatrist and support put in place. It makes me feel so obsolete and worthless. Just wondering what sort of support would be available? Or if anyone has any suggestions? Don’t think I could afford the OU but it will be an idea. Thank you 

Comments

• connoro007
    connoro007 Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    Options
    I get their viewpoint and I know that I struggle to cope but I want to get an education and not have a burnout again. It’s hard 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @connoro007, thank you for sharing this with us all. Of course you're entitled to education and I'm sorry you feel worthless, you certainly aren't! What level of education are you looking at and what kind of support have you had in the past? I am tagging @melaniethorley who is our disabled student advisor :) 
    Scope

• Imogen_Steele
    Imogen_Steele Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community. I’m sorry to hear you are struggling, I too have struggled throughout my education to get the support I needed. Maybe you could look into whether the OU is able to help with funding and support 
    Imogen 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @connoro007, have you looked into the OU any more? They have a lot of free courses as well which you could try to see if this learning style suits you. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness