2011 backdated payment Help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

2011 backdated payment Help

Options
travis50
travis50 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
Hi, I'm new here but I am deeply confused over a form I received from DWP in April. I am not sure whether I am eligible for back dated payment or for how much it would be. I filled the form in and have not heard anything since April. I understand it's taking 12 weeks to process claims. In December 2011 I was moved from Incapacity to ESA-I remember it well as they stopped my payments completely just before Christmas, and then I didn't receive any payment until New Years Eve. That was a terrible Christmas. They left me with no money at all. The form they sent me in April said that I might be eligible for ESA premiums between Dec 2011 and DEC 2012. This I understand are enhanced disability premiums. If this is the case then I might get something but it might not be much if it's calculated over just those 12 months. But I don't know how the system works and I've seen reports that the average payout is £5000! Very confused by it all. Can someone please enlighten me? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

They are contacting everyone that transferred from IB to ESA, even if you don't qualify. Whether you will qualify for any backdated money will depend on your circumstances between those dates. The things they look at are living with a partner that works, or claimed any other benefit at the time, savings, capital and pensions.

Some have received huge backdated money yes because they have been owed money from November 2011 right up to the present day.

It's impossible to tell you on an internet forum whether you'll be owed any backdated money because we don't know all your circumstances.

I do know there's huge backlogs for the underpayments and current waiting times are between 12-20 weeks, maybe longer. Once a decision is made they will contact you by letter.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • travis50
    Options
    Thank you so much Poppy. I'll probably be one of those that gets nothing at all. I'm not building any hopes up. 

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @travis50 and a warm welcome to the community. 
    Hopefully you should hear back soon, it's a shame there are such huge delays. Please let us know how you get on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • travis50
    Options
    Thanks Adrian, but I don't think I'll be getting a share of the pie. I've ordered a bank statement from 2012 just to see how much they were paying me, but I have a feeling I was receiving the enhanced premium. So they've dangled a carrot in front of me but it looks as though it's going to be snatched away. Never mind.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.