Road to Resilience - how to process your child's diagnosis — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Road to Resilience - how to process your child's diagnosis

Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
We have a new series of films to share with you, from parents and carers for parents and carers called The Road to Resilience.

Our first film is about how to process your child's diagnosis, take a look and let us know your thoughts and experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSpkYnOMe8k&feature=youtu.be 

Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• NoraR
    NoraR Community member Posts: 9 Courageous
    Love these videos, really brings the issues to life. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I love the film. I even chronicled my first year of being a mom in a diary. The diagnosis day was one of the hardest parts of being a special needs mommy. My whole life changed. Nearly three years later I reflect on diagnosis day and how much our lives have changed since that day. 
  • lovelymummylivi
    lovelymummylivi Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    I agree completely that your own positivity will feed into our children and help them. But finding the time to attend support groups & look after a home, children, work...it’s hard.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    But totally doable. 
  • sroblb
    sroblb Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    We had thought we had our diagnosis but are now back in the process of acquiring further diagnose now my daughter has started school. It's been really hard as we are finding it such a negative process. It's not about all the amazing things our daughter can do but what she cant do and also how she is different in a bad way. Then I get upset and then I feel guilty about being upset as at the end of the day we have a beautiful and capable little girl who is such a valued member of our family and we should be celebrating that. What a rollercoaster! I love the Einstein quote about the fish and the tree climbing. Unfortunately we and our beautiful little fish are still looking up at that tree and wondering what to do. I wish assessments could be much more asset-based.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    You're definitely not the only person to feel that way @sroblb. I've known people that have put off pursuing a diagnosis because they've found the process too difficult emotionally (and can be equally tough when you start looking at things like disability benefits!)
    How is your daughter finding school? 
    I'm not sure if it would be of interest to you but we have a new free service at Scope called Navigate which offers advice and emotional support to the parents of children who have recently been diagnosed or are going through the diagnosis process. 
    If you're interested you can read more about the service here: www.scope.org.uk/family-services/navigate

Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness