PIP rang to offer me a deal instead of tribunal - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP rang to offer me a deal instead of tribunal

13»

Comments

• carman
    carman Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I've been appealing for my older son since March last year  as my son has a mental disability which he was born with I have been his carer since he was a baby and to be honest a disability you can't see has been one of the most hardest things I've ever had to cope with because other people do not see it and this was the reason he was refused at the first assessment even though they had  evidence, In other words, he looked normal so he is normal anyway my point is I have suffered mental stress  having to deal with PIPS the DWP and their constant refusal It took me a long hard  week to try to encourage, my son, to even go to the first PIP assessment as he is socially withdrawn and never leaves the house and  then when they told me he would have to go to a Tribunal and sit in front of 4 persons and explain his self to them I thought to myself this is never going to happen so after writing all these letters of appeal  and all the stress and hardship  it has caused me and  my son I came to the conclusion it was all over as I told them he will not be going to the Tribunal Then months later I had a letter and a phone call asking if I would except the basic rate for Living Allowance and basic rate for Mobility  even though my son was on Middle rate for both I was  still  happy because I cant  put myself or my son through this ordeal  again at least he will be getting something and I'm greatful for that and I should imagine they will have to  back date all those payments Carers aswell.            
  • debs68
    debs68 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I've had mobility problems and mental health problems for many years, when everything was changed over to pip I had an assessment, I was on higher rate mobility and lower rate for standered living, after my assessment I had letter from dwp saying I would no longer get mobility but I would get standard rate daily living, I cant believe how much the assessor lied to the point of even saying I attended on my own, in fact my husband was with me and present at all times, I appealed and was waiting over a year for a tribunal hearing, I had a letter with a date to attend and a week later a phone call to say they had to cancel it as one of the board members couldnt attend, so while waiting again I had a phone call yesterday from dwp telling me they had looked at all the evidence again what i had sent in and said they were disgusted that so many things were overlooked and i should of been awarded more points, they then went on to tell me I've gone to nil points to enhanced rate mobility and asked if I would accept this decision and not go to a tribunal, I did accept as this year I've been so ill and stressed over all this and I feel a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders, I really do hope everyone gets sorted fairly as I know how stressful it can be
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    debs68 said:
    I've had mobility problems and mental health problems for many years, when everything was changed over to pip I had an assessment, I was on higher rate mobility and lower rate for standered living, after my assessment I had letter from dwp saying I would no longer get mobility but I would get standard rate daily living, I cant believe how much the assessor lied to the point of even saying I attended on my own, in fact my husband was with me and present at all times, I appealed and was waiting over a year for a tribunal hearing, I had a letter with a date to attend and a week later a phone call to say they had to cancel it as one of the board members couldnt attend, so while waiting again I had a phone call yesterday from dwp telling me they had looked at all the evidence again what i had sent in and said they were disgusted that so many things were overlooked and i should of been awarded more points, they then went on to tell me I've gone to nil points to enhanced rate mobility and asked if I would accept this decision and not go to a tribunal, I did accept as this year I've been so ill and stressed over all this and I feel a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders, I really do hope everyone gets sorted fairly as I know how stressful it can be
    Isn't it rather strange that at last knockings and after at least three examinations of the evidence the DWP finally admit defeat. It makes you wonder if all of this intentional hoping that those waiting for an appeal hearing give up or indeed others who don't want to appeal because of the stress of waiting 12 months.
  • debs68
    debs68 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I actually nearly gave up on many occasions and also ended up in hostpital it made me that ill I had to See a cpn on a weekly basis also but I urge people not to give in to them 
  • stressisoffnow
    stressisoffnow Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi. i just wanted to take a moment to share my story. 
    I applied for PIP in 2017. I was turned down and recieved 0 points for each.  
    I asked for a MR and decision remained unchanged.  I then appealed to a tribunal. 
    Earlier this year the tribunal postponed my hearing requesting further medical information.  Since that time i am/have been awaiting a second hearing date. 
    Then this week I receive a letter from the DWP who say they have revised the decision and can offer an award for both parts - in return my appeal will end. 
    Ive decided to accept. 
    The wait and struggle without the help of PIP has been difficult and I’m glad I no longer have to worry about the tribunal which has been causing me its own set of health problems.  

You will get there if you continue to appeal and go through the processes. It is difficult but you must try and keep strength to fight for what you are entitled to. 
    Wishing everyone the best of luck 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @stressisoffnow, thank you for joining to share your experience with us. 

Sorry you've had to wait so long for your award but I'm glad you've now received it, it must be a huge relief that it's over with! Hope to see you around the community. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.