Why after twenty years no circumstance change, has help with eye tests, dental, prescription stopped — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why after twenty years no circumstance change, has help with eye tests, dental, prescription stopped

Telski0
Telski0 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited June 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have now been on PIP for a few years, it took some doing like others, a break down and many tears, less of money like others etc but still on my other benifits I was on before. But my husband and myself are confused to why now they don't help with glasses, eye tests, dental treatment and check ups and prescriptions (which I had to apply for an exemption). My daughter who works but is on low income gets help, but we can't because I contributed to national insurance (or something like that, sorry brain fog). Since being disabled we have never had to pay for it so I don't get why now? Sorry for the rant and sorry if I don't make much sense at the mo. We are struggling, but so are many others, however if it wasn't for the prescription exemption I wouldn't be able to afford my meds and I haven't been to the dentist for a few years and have gone way past my due eye test and new glasses. My nan is going to help going to the dentist, but I feel awful having to ask. It's degrading being disabled in the first place and it shouldn't be, we all just need a little help and shouldn't be made to feel like beggers or burdens on society, I had worked for some years and would work now if I could, however due to unforseen circumstances years back I'm unable to. Please can anyone shed some light, thank you. 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Telski0 and welcome

What has changed that has cused you to lose access to NHS services ?

Have you applied for an HC2 certificate ? People on low incomes can get for free services with this certificate
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Telski0, I'm sorry to hear that your support has stopped! Was it a HC2 that you had claimed before? PIP won't help your claim for free prescriptions unfortunately. This goes on the income. You are able to buy a prepayment certificate for prescriptions which can make it a lot cheaper if you require a lot of medication.
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,335 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If you're claiming a Contribution based benefit only then this won't automatically entitle you to free NHS dental/eye tests.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Telski0 Pleased to meet you. Sorry to hear what you are going through.

The problems may arise of certain exceptions.  I know that reading my recent prescription has the following information. On the back.

You not are not entitled to exemption because you receive the following.  Pension Credit Saving Credit, Incapacity Benefit, Disability Living Allowance, Contributions based Employment Allowance and Contributions based Jobseeker Allowance.

Information about who can pay prescription charges and who is exempt.

www.nhs.uk/healthcosts .

Not entitled to free prescriptions. A prescription pre payment certificate may reduce your costs.  Call 0300 330 1341.

Buy on line at www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk  or ask your pharmacy for a form FP95.

Hope that helps. I would also consult your GP for anything signposting. Regarding Dental care.

There are Dental Hospitals all over the country.  Often used by patients who have disabilities, mental health and other issues.

Speak to your GP about referring you to them. Something to look at.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.