Are child safety products a barrier for disabled adults? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are child safety products a barrier for disabled adults?

Options
Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger

Today is the start of Child Safety Week (3rd- 9th June) and we have been looking at the things that are implemented to ensure children are kept safe. Around the house many things like catches on draws or safety caps on bleach are a great way to ensure the safety of children, but what if a disabled adult is unable to get into these things?

For someone with reduced mobility or strength in their hand, opening a jar can become problematic and painful. An article about how to make packaging more accessible said:

“Designing packaging that is easier to read, open and use for blind and disabled people ultimately improves everyone’s user experience.”

It also spoke about companies who have been leading this accessible movement. Microsoft’s Xbox Adaptive Controller, which launched last year, was a handset aimed at disabled gamer which included those with reduced fine motor skills. Not only was the product full accessible and inclusive, the packaging was specifically designed to have easy-open mechanisms.

Have you found a particular product difficult as a disabled adult? What tips could you offer the community?

Scope

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Keep looking. I recently got a walk in shower installed for my 26 year old cousin who has spastic diplegia and lives alone on the floor above us. It’s amazing how much adaptive equipment can help us live a normal life.   
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's great news @April2018mom! Adaptive equipment can be amazing!
    Scope

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I struggle with every day items like opening jars and even struggle to open my blister pack of pills at times, often having to ask my husband to open things for me.  Recently my O.T. gave me a jar opener which is quite big and deep and helps me to grip jars a lot better.  I also recently bought a pill dispenser online (quite cheaply) which pierces the blister pack and out pops a pill.  So no more having to rely on my husband to do these things for me which makes me feel more independent.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness