Anxiety and PiP Decision Help. (URGENT) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anxiety and PiP Decision Help. (URGENT)

whittmonk
whittmonk Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hello guys! I'm a 21year old female suffering from Severe Anxiety, Depression and Agoraphobia. I currently can't even leave my home due to how bad my condition is (2 years I've been suffering) and decided that it was because I apply for PiP to help fund anything I need such as transportation because I currently only get £200 a month from Universal Credit, which does not cover all my bills. I have to pay for taxi's to appointments e.t.c due to being unable to use public transport.

I applied for PiP, went through the medical and recieved my decision today after 4 months of waiting. I saw that I had been declined PiP. I got awarded 0 points in BOTH sections. Not a single point... The whole decision letter I read was full of lies. Seemed more like a copy and paste job. This broke me into pieces. This is my last option for help. I've had to fund my basic living by maxxing out 2 credit cards, 2 overdrafts, PayPal Credit and an Argos Card for basic needs. All that money went on getting the correct food and paying my bills and getting the help I need as there was no help what so ever during my process. I now find out I have to go through another process which will take up to 14 weeks (Mandatory Reconcideration), that I will most likely fail and then wait another 14 weeks plus for a Tribunal.

I'm in debt, I haven't got any help in terms of money at all, my outgoings are larger than my £200 a month income (UC) which I can NOT reduce in any area. I now have these card fee's ontop. There is no alternative source to get money from. There is no local help for me. To think this was all because I got lied to and about.

My report also stated that I looked fine which shown that I have little to no anxiety or depression. They looked at me and decided I was okay based off looks. Baring in mind they witnessed an anxiety attack, and I could barely speak or look them in the eye and Mental Health is called an 'Invisible Illness' for a reason.

Why do they do this to genuinly sick people? They judged me. I'm now in debt. I have no source of help. I have no income and now they expect me to pay for a Professional Mental Health assessment (Over £250) for 'evidence' as I have no other option. I can't fund my living anymore and I have sold all my possessions. I'm on the verge of bankrupcy and homelessness. Is there any help available? I simply can't work and have no financial support. I could easily end up homeless within the coming months. Why do they not offer a payment to cover costs while you are going through the process? This alone could make or break a disabled persons life. Could anyone possibly give me any advice on what to do?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2019
    Hi,

For the PIP all you can do is request the MR and you have 1 month from the date of the decision to do that. You should put your request in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. 

Any extra relevant evidence you have should be sent with the letter to support your claim. The very rarely contact anyone for evidence.

Most MR decisions remain the same so you'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal. Waiting times across the country are huge and some are waiting 1 year for a hearing date. Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour.

For your UC...have you had a work capability assessment and been placed into one of the groups? If so, which group?

Do you claim the housing element in with your monthly payment?

Are you claiming council tax reduction from your local council? It's not part of UC and needs to be separately.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • baljitd1977
    baljitd1977 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi do not lose hope my daughter had also failed her pip assessment it seems they do not even read the medical evidence, she fought it all the way thru and won at the appeal. 
  • Alison48
    Alison48 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Dont give up on trying I lost mine and went to tribunal and won my case and was awarded over 5ooo in back pay I had my assesment in my home because of anxiety and the so called assesor was so abrupt and spoke down to me as though i was a peice on her shoe and she wrote a load of rubbish things i told her werent even on my report all lies , When you go to any assesment ask for a recording then its verbal not written as I did when i went for my disability element on UC  the assesor wwas absolutely lovely couldnt fault her she listened and it only took 20 mins I was shocked thought would be longer and was awarded LCWRA so put claim in for that aswell hun .

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    I've probably had my award lowered due to the assessor telling porkies, not reading evidence etc. I'm waiting for the decision letter. We recorded my assessment as well (with permission) but that didn't stop him from trying to claim I don't have MH problems 50% of the time when I have them pretty much every single day.

Do keep fighting though and make sure you get some help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited June 2019
    Hi @whittmonk, there’s some great advice above about your PIP appeal so I just wanted to focus on the rest of your post.

Please consider getting in touch with StepChange who will be able to help with regards to the debts. They can set up (affordable) repayment plans and have any interest, charges and fees stopped while you get back on your feet. 

If you’re able to answer @poppy123456’s questions with regards to UC we can help ensure you’re getting what you’re entitled to there as well.  
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • whittmonk

2 days ago I received the Universal Credit questionnaire in the mail that I have to send back to which they're going to book the medical assessment to declare whether I am fit for work or not.

I do NOT have housing benefits because I sadly live with my parents who do not understand my condition. Thus if I do not pay them the rent I owe I will be kicked out. Sadly this isn't covered under any benefit bracket as it isn't an official 'bill'. I've tried to make them understand but it hadn't worked sadly.

Also because of this I do not pay council tax.

I had to take out 2 advance payments from UC so I only get £200 a month. However I'm going through the medical and hopefully get awarded the extra £300 or something a month I believe xx

• poppy123456
    Thanks for that extra information. Yes, living with your parents unfortunately, doesn't qualify you for any housing element.

The work capability assessment form that you received needs to be filled in with as much information about how your conditions affect you as possible. Make sure you send evidence with the form to support your claim because they very rarely contact anyone for evidence. The form must be returned no later than the date stated.

Once they receive it back you'll most likely be sent an appointment for a face to face assessment because most people have them. Once this is done a report will be returned to DWP with recommendations. Once a decision is made you'll either be given LCW, LCWRA or fit for work. If the decision is LCWRA then you'll receive the extra element from the 4th month of your claim from when you sent in your first fit note. If you've waited longer than this then you'll be backdated any money owed. If the decision is LCW then you won't receive any extra money each month.

Hope this helps. Good luck with assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Survivorgirl58
    Survivorgirl58 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    whittmonk said:
    Hello guys! I'm a 21year old female suffering from Severe Anxiety, Depression and Agoraphobia. I currently can't even leave my home due to how bad my condition is (2 years I've been suffering) and decided that it was because I apply for PiP to help fund anything I need such as transportation because I currently only get £200 a month from Universal Credit, which does not cover all my bills. I have to pay for taxi's to appointments e.t.c due to being unable to use public transport.

I applied for PiP, went through the medical and recieved my decision today after 4 months of waiting. I saw that I had been declined PiP. I got awarded 0 points in BOTH sections. Not a single point... The whole decision letter I read was full of lies. Seemed more like a copy and paste job. This broke me into pieces. This is my last option for help. I've had to fund my basic living by maxxing out 2 credit cards, 2 overdrafts, PayPal Credit and an Argos Card for basic needs. All that money went on getting the correct food and paying my bills and getting the help I need as there was no help what so ever during my process. I now find out I have to go through another process which will take up to 14 weeks (Mandatory Reconcideration), that I will most likely fail and then wait another 14 weeks plus for a Tribunal.

I'm in debt, I haven't got any help in terms of money at all, my outgoings are larger than my £200 a month income (UC) which I can NOT reduce in any area. I now have these card fee's ontop. There is no alternative source to get money from. There is no local help for me. To think this was all because I got lied to and about.

My report also stated that I looked fine which shown that I have little to no anxiety or depression. They looked at me and decided I was okay based off looks. Baring in mind they witnessed an anxiety attack, and I could barely speak or look them in the eye and Mental Health is called an 'Invisible Illness' for a reason.

Why do they do this to genuinly sick people? They judged me. I'm now in debt. I have no source of help. I have no income and now they expect me to pay for a Professional Mental Health assessment (Over £250) for 'evidence' as I have no other option. I can't fund my living anymore and I have sold all my possessions. I'm on the verge of bankrupcy and homelessness. Is there any help available? I simply can't work and have no financial support. I could easily end up homeless within the coming months. Why do they not offer a payment to cover costs while you are going through the process? This alone could make or break a disabled persons life. Could anyone possibly give me any advice on what to do?

• Survivorgirl58
    Survivorgirl58 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi I am so sorry to hear the way you have been treated I am fighting to get these assessments abolished and have started a petition on change.Org.Uk please sign and share on social media and with family and friends
    Here is the link
    http://chng.it/v76rwLSH

WHITMONK please keep faith and strong!
    we the disabled will fight to get changes with this disgrace DWP Atos and Capita 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @whittmonk   Sorry to hear what you are going through.

The problems and issues with your mental health .  Your assessment and everything else.

I know you need to find some support, some guidance with your mental health.

This I know is very difficult for you to deal with.

I do not have all the answers but do know have to be some solutions to dealing with what you have your conditions.

Have you spoken to any one who can advise you give you support, guidance, advice on your mental health.

Something to consider . 

You mentioned never get any support. ?  Please if I can suggest contact this mental health charity.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Can offer support, advice with your conditions and anything else benefits.  Offer floating support or an outreach worker. Might not be in your area check first.

Something to consider. 

I know it small steps but you have to be strong.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • whittmonk
    @ilovecats The GPs in my area are shocking. I've gone from doctor to doctor. The hospitals are very full and there's no proper psych professionals available in my area on the NHS unless you are sectioned. I have to pay to get a proper assessment as I believe that it will further my claim, it will make everything easier in the long run and I won't be lied to, or about, and it will open me up to new treatments.
  • whittmonk
    @ilovecats They're currently trialing medications with me to see if any work (Which on ym claim they lied and said I wasn't even though I am). I have been referred to a community team but that was 3 years ago and I never got the confirmation. They haven't suggested a referral since and think I can 'deal' with it on my own despite turning up multiple times in tears or full blown panic attacks. I have to pay for my own assessment both medical and physical (for my fainting) which will cost around £500. I have self referred myself by my Universal Credit coaches command to two local community teams. Both for CBT and talkative therapy. The doctors haven't even suggested a thorough diagnosis and are messing me about so sadly having to do it all on my own.
  • ronnie123
    ronnie123 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    I’ve been reading all of the above and truly am sorry to hear all the problems you are having with, both your health and your attempts to get financial help.
    im trying to get pip for my wife who’s a has deep depression and anxiety. We filled in all the forms and got all the documentation they requested from the doctors and councillors that she has been seeing. We got a letter recently saying that they wish to see her on a home visit (but they can’t say when at present) but from what I’ve been reading, there seems to be very little chance of my wife being believed and financial support from them seems like a non starter. This is just going to add further pressure on us both financially and, in my wife’s case, mentally. They don’t seem to be to helpful. I’m wondering if it’s worth continuing with the claim if it’s just going to make our life’s a bigger hell than it already is.
  • whittmonk
    @ronnie123 I agree. The process is hell but after finding out they almost always decline mental health persons on the first stage I am sticking and fighting through and I believe you should too. They do this to possible stop any scroungers or whatever. They will either make an offer before the tribunal happens or you'll be accepted after the tribunal. I applied for a mandatory reconcideration yesterday and they've already rang up all my personal helpers today to get extra evidence. I believe this is because I stated on the phone that I will be doing the reconcideration, and WILL be taking it to the tribunal with a solicitor. Thus I believe they already know that I will be awarded in the end so I believe I may get an offer. I suggest you do the same in regards to making sure that they understand that you will be taking the tribunal no matter what and that you already are gathering evidence for your case. Like me, you will have to go through financial hardship and a long ass waiting time but apparently the tribunal is the deciding point for mental health issues. I'd also suggest when you get to that stage accepting to do the case in person as that will further help the claim go through. It sucks but I highly believe it will be worth it.
  • whittmonk
    @ilovecats My GP has said I DO have Anxiety, Depression, Agoraphobia but refuse to take my fainting problems further even though I nearly died and lost my home due to it. This is why I am going out my way to get this assessment in the coming week to yet again further my claim and further prove that my issues are genuine, and are of high concern. Just an extra helping hand with it. I also have another doctors app next week to further explain, get evidence written down and my current action plan to send in with my letter about why I disagreed with the claim. Sadly the assessor lied because I had 4 anxiety attacks going to that assessment which she witness, so did the receptionist. So I'm now pulling out all the stops to make sure I am heard, respected, believed and understood. Xx
  • ronnie123
    No offence everybody and good luck to all but I really can’t see any point in battling the system (and by the sound of it it’s going to be a long drawn out affair) just to go through it again and again and again. I can’t see how that is any help whatsoever considering what is happening to mentally, all it’s going to do is make you worse. We’ve never claimed anything in our lives before. I think we’ve paid in enough to say “Excuse me, but we need a little help here” I’m not sure how fighting with the system as hard as it seems we have to, just to be told, sorry mate we need more proof and more proof and on and on and on.
    i thought these agencies were put into place to help people like you and me. By the sounds of it even supplying documentation from the GP and councillor is going to be enough. What do the want a letter from the Pope !!! We’ll wait for the home visit and see what happens but I don’t think I’m in any shape to go into battle with them. I honestly didn’t think it would be this difficult. The worry and the stress of it all is only going to make it worse.
  • poppy123456
    Unfortunately paying enough doesn't help a PIP claim. PIP is about how your conditions affect your ability to carry daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. You can have a disability but not qualify for PIP because if you don't meet the descriptors you won't score the points for an award.

The constant reviews and assessments are a worry for everyone but if you want to claim these benefits then sadly we have no choice.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @whittmonk Thanks for adding more information about your current situation.

The difficulty you have is to consider some choices. A lot of the issues with mental health is trying to cope and deal with the mindset you have.

Then you need to look at yourself find some strength to deal with this.  There are people whom you can talk to.  

If you want to move on with your life cope and deal with issues you have been experiencing then you need to think what do I want.

Please ask you self what do you want to happen.  How can I help myself how can I cope and move on. Get debt free have a life. Cope with my mental health issues.

Do I want to be happy and deal with anything.

Sorry to hear you experiences with the community team .  This does happen. These community teams are over burden understaffed.

Time and patience, tolerance many do not have.  

Do not understand why you need to pay for medical assessment.  Is that worth the money.

What is important is it not finding ways to sort your personal situation and your circumstances.

Please if I can offer anything additional please ask.  

If you contacted the mental health charity can help with many of the aspects of your life .   There are organisations that can help and give you support, information, advice, guidance on anything.

Rethink is a organisation that deals with people who have mental health issues give support work with you as an advocate. Look at there website.

Consider speaking to your local Housing Office for consultations on what happens regarding homelessness.  Explain your situation.  Speak to CAB.

Have a look on their website. Consider looking on line for organisations to help and guide you.  Your could look at The Salvation Army.

Often have there own welfare and support .

Hope and pray you need some one to guide you.   We can be that community.

I know a lot has happened.  I have been doing the benefit system a long time.   Had so many knock backs. Have mental health issues myself as I have mentioned before. Beaten addiction .

Got away from parents whom they used and abused me mentally. physically .  Feed bucket . Need I say more.  No love or concern or care for me.

Found a way to leave had to. Something happens always does. To give you some reassurance it does.

Even with all my mental health and physical problems gained some strength and courage used my faith to guide my mind.

Please if I can add. You are not alone .  I am here anytime to listen to you be supportive. This is what I do every day.

Please keep in touch.  Always in prayers.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • buzzer
    buzzer Community member Posts: 106 Pioneering
    edited June 2019
    @ronnie123, please don't give up, support your wife through the process and stay as positive as you can. Keeping a positive attitude will help your wife also. 
    Remember the stories you are reading are a small percentage of the bigger picture. There are lots of people on forums to offer advice and support and guidance through the process. 

Try & be kind to one another even if we may have different views. 

• ronnie123
    Thank you buzzer.
    i needed that little kick up the backside.
    i can see we’re not the only one going through this and was probably just feeling sorry for myself. If you guys can battle on with everything you are going through then so can we ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.