Has anyone got any suggestions or advice, re exercise, blue badge, benefits of any kind? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone got any suggestions or advice, re exercise, blue badge, benefits of any kind?

Susan142
Susan142 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited June 2019 in Transport and travel
Hi, I'm Susan and I am 63 years of age.  After suffering months of pain in the tops of my legs, despite taking 1000mg of Naproxen daily for arthritis in my knees (already had one replaced) my GP referred me for physiotherapy.  He took details of my symptoms, referred me as an emergency to hospital suspecting cauda equina.  After an MRI it was confirmed that I have lumbar spinal stenosis touching the central nerve and cauda equina, but not serious enough to operate.  I now have to take Pregabalen as well as Naproxen, but sometimes, especially in the evenings, neither touches the pain.  I was given some exercises to carry out at home and told to try cycling - bearing in mind I cannot bend my left knee (which also needs replacing) this is not an activity I can do.  I still work full time, luckily it's a sedentary job, but was hoping to be able to retire on medical grounds (ha ha).  I have completed on online assessment for a blue badge, because walking any distance is so difficult sometimes, especially in cold weather, but have been told I would be unlikely to qualify.  Has anyone got any suggestions or advice, re exercise, blue badge, benefits of any kind?

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Susan142 how are you doing today?
    I am sorry to hear you have been in pain. Hopefully you should be able to qualify, here's the criteria for receiving a blue badge
    Regarding exercise, I would suggest you speak to your Doctor, and see what other alternatives are available for you to do.

You can use our benefits calculator to find out what support and welfare benefits you can claim. 

I hope this helps, please let us know if you have any questions.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Have you spoken to your employer about reasonable adjustments in the work place? This should be the first thing you should do. I wouldn't advise you to just leave your job without first speaking to ACAS http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461

If you're still unable to carry on working then SSP is payable for 28 weeks and you'll need a fit note from your GP.

For a blue badge, if you don't automatically qualify then you'll most likely need an assessment but your local council will contact you in due course regarding that.

There's PIP which is a disability benefit that has replaced DLA and is for those aged between 16-64. Once you are 65 then you won't be able to apply because then it will be attendance allowance.

PIP is about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors, not about a diagnosis. You'll need evidence to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this. A face to face assessment is most likely because most people have them. A claim can take several months or more. See link.

A benefit calculator isn't really of any use here because it won't tell you what you can claim because you have to put all the information into it.

As for exercise then you should speak to your GP regarding that as Antonia Scope has advised.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Susan142 and welcome to the community. :)

I hope @poppy123456 and @Antonia_Scope have answered your query but please let us know if you have any other questions. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Susan142
    My workplace is fine, except for the stairs, but they are putting in another handrail which will help. I cant afford to go off sick. I don't get paid and SSP won't cover my outgoings. I still have a mortgage and can't retire for 3 years. I have checked various criteria and I don't qualify for anything, even for caring for my Dad regularly as he didn't get a mobility element for his DLA. I wanted to see if I could qualify for a mobility car for his hospital appointments, but can't. He is 85 and quite ill. But there just seem to be obstacles everywhere  because I work.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    There are lots of options for disabled people to have exercise. Why not contact the doctor to get approval to exercise safely? You could see if you can find a sport. Or you could always take up something like tennis or badminton etc.
    What sort of work do you do now? 
  • Susan142
    I'm office based.  Badminton! I need a knee replacement. I'll try swimming, as long as I can get up and down the ladder, and no, I will not ask for a hoist. Thanks but I will manage :-)

Brightness