pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pip

Options
victorroadster1
victorroadster1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi,i was on dla for over ten years,my claim was due to be reviewed in december 2019,i received a letter from dwp saying i would be going on to pip,i was on higher rate of mobility and care,this was awarded in april 2017,by june i had received a letter for a face to face meeting,they then decided i was only going to get standard rate mobility,then this year they sent me a form to fill in to see if my health had changed,i filled in the form and received a letter for a face to face,in this meeting i was asked many questions but none about my ability to plan and execute a journey,i told the lady of my ongoing mental health problems and gave her the name of my clinical psychologist who i am seeing on a regular basis for anxiety and depression,i received a letter from dwp stating that even though my condition mobility wise has worsened ,i could not get higher rate of mobility because the law states this.they are happy to reduce your payments and are always saying let us know if your condition gets worse then come out with any excuse not to pay,my claim is ongoing not a new claim,ii have a fear of crowded places and my wife has to accompany me if i go somewhere new or shopping,thank you for reading.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @victorroadster1 and welcome

When did you receive your decision letter ?
    Have you asked for a copy of the assessment report ?
    Have you asked for a mandatory reconsideration ?

You say that DWP say that the law does not allow the enhanced rate, May I ask your age ? 
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    victorroadster1,

It definitely sounds worth asking for a mandatory reconsideration. Do get a copy of the assessment report if you haven't already. 

It will help if you can show exactly which descriptor in the activity planning and following journeys applies to you, and why, giving as much evidence as you can. If you can get your psychologist to write a letter for you, this may help.

You can use the PIP self-test to think about the number of points you think you should have got.

Bear in mind that you have to get 12 points to get the enhanced rate (you can add points from the other mobility activity, if this applies).

Your age may be relevant because if you are already pension age, you can only get the enhanced rate mobility component if you have had it before (within the last year). If you haven't had it before and you are already of pension age, then it simply isn't possible to get it now.

The thing is though, that you used to get the higher rate mobility component of DLA - and if that had continued within PIP, this problem wouldn't have arisen. It's really hard to say whether the original PIP decision was wrong, but if age is the problem it may be that you can only get the enhanced mobility component now by challenging the PIP decision which gave you standard mobility only, which would be difficult (especially if it was more than 13 months ago).

So I agree with CR and if you are able to give us a bit more information, someone can suggest what to do next.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.