Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Need to sell home

welshclarkswelshclarks Member Posts: 1 Listener
We have to send ESA details of savings and property so they can calculate our allowance. The accounts etc are easy enough but we were living in Wales and the house was in need of renovation and we could not complete it with my husband becoming disabled. We moved into his parents house that they were renting out in England. We now rent from them and have the house in Wales on the market to sell, and will then buy the house we now rent from his parents. Since we are not actually living in the house whilst trying to sell do we need to declare it as capital, it is mortgaged, or not? Thanks for any advice, bit confused by the regulations around this.


  • atlas46atlas46 Member Posts: 827 Pioneering
    Hi @welshclarks

    A warm welcome.

    This post comes with a health warning.

    You need to seek advice from a welfare rights officer, like CAB or shelter.

    On the assumption that your house in Wales is not being rented, it should not affect your claim.

    Once you sell the house and then purchase the house you currently rent, again this should have no impact.

    I would suggest I would inform ESA of your plans at some stage

    Hope this helps.

    Let us know how you got on, once you have had face to face advice.
  • April2018momApril2018mom Posts: 2,869 Member

    You have to get advice pronto from CAB. Once you sell the house then you have nothing to worry about. Also tell ESA at some point. Good luck! 
  • foxukfoxuk Member Posts: 108 Pioneering
    I went through this a few years back.

    You need to contact the CAB or welfare rights immediately.

    Your house may be treated as a disposable asset and be counted as savings. This was done to me.

    I have been told that there are ways around this but your situation is a minefield and you really need up to date professional advice.

    Good luck

  • AlexandriaUKAlexandriaUK Member Posts: 40 Courageous
    edited June 2019
    Hi I agree you definitely need to speak to someone about this as your situation puts you at risk of having too much capital assets and renting off of a close family member is also a bit of a tricky one to expand on. 
    So you must fill out the benefits application forms totally honestly or believe me the consequences are not good. 
    Yes you do have to tell them about property you own even if it's empty and for sale because they can quite easily find the information without your permission. 
    A friend of ours didn't admit to owning a holiday home in Spain for a number of years and has been landed with a criminal record for fraud. 
    The mental cost and financial costs have taken a heavy toll on her and her family, remember big brother Is watching you 😂 
Sign in or join us to comment.