Assisted train travel, good or bad? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Assisted train travel, good or bad?

Options
jolew
jolew Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
 I have never travelled alone since being a wheelchair user. I want to try it this weekend, but I am very nervous of travelling alone. I would really appreciate feedback from members who have used assisted train travel.

Comments

• buzzer
    buzzer Community member Posts: 106 Pioneering
    edited June 2019
    Options
    My son has travelled several times on the train assisted, and has been happy with the service starting at rural station to larger town and cities. 
    Go for it and have a nice time x

Try & be kind to one another even if we may have different views. 

• jolew
    Options
    @buzzer thanks for that, I am worried that they might not help me get from the train to the taxi. I have a manual chair and my husband usually pushes me. I can self propel a bit but with MS my arms and hands get fatigued very quickly. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Train travel is totally doable and worth the hassle. I’ve done 1/2 trips to London by train alone with the kids in tow now. It takes a bit more planning on my part but I hate traveling by car to London. My first piece of advice is to ask about assistance. Find out as much information as you can get. Give them all the information. 
  • jolew
    Options
    @April2018mom thank you, I am going to phone tomorrow and find out about what help they offer. At this end my carer is going to take me to the station and the platform,  and she thinks I should definitely go for it! It will be confidence building.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Definitely. Keep us posted on what happens. 
  • jolew
    Options
    I have booked my travel assist, thanks for all the encouragement @buzzer and @April2018mom. The booking lady explained that I would be helped on and off the train, and helped to and from the platform, from and to my taxis. I am no longer worried and will use it again.
  • buzzer
    buzzer Community member Posts: 106 Pioneering
    Options
    @jolew have a fabulous time x

Try & be kind to one another even if we may have different views. 

• jolew
    Options
    I have made my train travel journey using travel assist and it went really well and I will definitely be using it again!
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @jolew

Really pleased your assist train journey went well.

Have you got a disabled rail card?

Well worth looking into, you get  30% discount for you and a companion, on all journeys.

I use the west coast mainline trains, with mine.

They are the “tilting” trains, so you feel as though you’ve had a few glasses of wine when you go through bends in the track!
  • jolew
    Options
    Hi @atlas46, I will get the rail card as now I have tried travel assist I will travel by train more. I did know about it but I rely on my husband now I can’t drive myself anymore. It was great to go somewhere independently!
  • jolew
    Options
    Hi @atlas46,I think I will get a railcard  as I hope to travel more by train as now that I no longer drive it will give me more independence.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    jolew said:
     I have never travelled alone since being a wheelchair user. I want to try it this weekend, but I am very nervous of travelling alone. I would really appreciate feedback from members who have used assisted train travel.
    Assisted train travel is good...used it a few times...make sure they are aware you are travelling. They like to keep on time....they dont like it if you dont pre-arrange assistance! Enjoy!

Brightness