PIP stopped and ESA cut. I am not sure what to do — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP stopped and ESA cut. I am not sure what to do

KingConrad
KingConrad Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi, my money has been slashed by around 60-70% and I am so lost. I feel like I just want to disappear as with my mental health I am just unable to handle this. I was already bad and now this has just taken me over the edge.

I just called PIP as I didn't get paid and when I called they said I was told about it ending in a letter but I have not seen a letter. They are sending out a new one but they said I have taken too long.

I believe my ESA has also changed. I am just too stressed to even check. 

I have no idea. I have spent hours looking online but I am just so filled with anxiety and doom that I am not sure what to do. 

I had an assessment, face to face, and I assumed it went well. I took my CPN with me and I just forgot about it. 

Anyway, I am lost and hoping that maybe something can be found here. Any advice would be good. I know I maybe have this information here if I looked and I will, but I also just wanted to vent as I am so lost right now and I don't know what else to do. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

For the PIP your first step is to request the mandatory reconsideration (MR) within 1 month of the date of the decision. You should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

If you haven't requested a copy of the assessment report then ring and do that.

I would advise you to speak to an advice agency near you for help and with this.

If your ESA has been reduced then it's likely you were receiving the severe disability premium in with this. This is paid to those that live alone or classed as living alone and no one claims carers allowance for looking after them. You also need a daily living award of PIP to qualify. As your PIP has stopped then this will be why your ESA has been reduced.

This link will tell you what's in your area for help. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • KingConrad
    Thank you Poppy. I think I have either messed up and not seen the letter or they didnt send it. I have asked for it to be resent.
    I looked at this website and put in my postcode. I hope maybe one of these can help.

Do you know of any support places like this? Places you can vent about these things and talk to people in similar situations? 
    I just dont want to do that here and dont think it is for that.

I feel so awful about this and mentally I dont know how to cope.
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. When i advised getting some help what i meant was help with the MR/Tribunal for the PIP. For this you'll need either welfare rights, a law centre or your local CAB. If you want representation then CAB no longer represent.

I this has made your mental health worse then speaking to the samaritans is the place to start. https://www.samaritans.org/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • diane66
    diane66 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi I'm new to this my pip has stopped I'm apealing but it's taken a month or just over I've not heard anything I'm on esa but struggling financially what should I do 
  • zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    in the same boat, but on ESA, MR has been over a month and still nothing, so it's a waiting game, phone calls don't get answered most days, so it's hard to get anyone to say much other than it may take longer etc, once the MR has been sent, it's sit and wait and manage, and when or if that fails, appeal once the MR has been done and then onto Tribunal, which is an even longer road, with some area's being a year or longer to get sorted, but this is how the DWP treats everyone, so your not alone, and now days seems to be the norm, i'm sorry to say, so good luck and hold on, stay strong and fight, as what else is left, back to work, then find out you can't, so not a real choice either
  • KingConrad
    I just filled with anxiety and I honestly dont know what to do. It is a crazy thing as I 100% wasnt worried. I thought if they did lower it it would be not by much, I didnt expect it to be 100% stopped. 

This is awful. Do you know of any groups for this? I mean more of just a support thing where people can talk and vent. 

I am just so lost and with my mental health I have no idea how to keep myself afloat.

I am so sorry for what is happening to you Diane and Zakblood. Its like they can take your support and life away at the drop of a hat or click of a button. I talked to someone and was talked to like it wasnt my life being effected by all of this. No one who is doing this has any advice.
  • poppy123456

Do a search of what's in your area as far as support groups are concerned. All areas are different and it's difficult to say what could be near to you without you giving details of where you live. I personally wouldn't want to give those details on an internet forum.

Another thought, have you spoken to your GP? They maybe able to advise you on support groups in your area or even refer you.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @KingConrad and welcome to the community. What sort of support are you currently receiving for your mental health? If there's anything specific you want advice on, you can post a message here where our expert advisor might be able to give you a hand. You can of course discuss how you're feeling in our mental health issues group.
    Have you looked at any of MIND's resources for self-help with your mental health?

However, if you are struggling with your mental health, it's really important you speak to someone qualified to help you. Please give Samaritans a call on 116 123 or email them at jo@samaritans.org and of course speak to your GP as soon as you can.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • KingConrad
    Hi @KingConrad and welcome to the community. What sort of support are you currently receiving for your mental health? If there's anything specific you want advice on, you can post a message here where our expert advisor might be able to give you a hand. You can of course discuss how you're feeling in our mental health issues group.
    Have you looked at any of MIND's resources for self-help with your mental health?

However, if you are struggling with your mental health, it's really important you speak to someone qualified to help you. Please give Samaritans a call on 116 123 or email them at jo@samaritans.org and of course speak to your GP as soon as you can.
    Hi, I have a CPN or whatever they're called now. He told me today that I should contact my MP and contact some people. He is as shocked as me. They just seem to be taking it from vulnerable people who can barely argue for their rights. This is my own opinion though.  

I dont really leave my house and have a whole range of other issue so this will be very hard to get fixed but I am determined to try.
  • KingConrad
    Thank you for your nice reply
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @KingConrad, please let us know how you get on with contacting your MP. You might also find it worthwhile getting in touch with your MEP while we still have them.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.