UC and other Benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC and other Benefits

Options
GG44
GG44 Community member Posts: 28 Connected
Hi , I've had a few people online and off ask if I have any info regarding UC and Housing Benefit etc. I've found a little info if useful.

If you’re moving to Universal Credit from other benefits

You can’t claim Universal Credit if you’re getting, or recently stopped getting, a benefit with a severe disability premium (SDP). You might get an SDP with:

• income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

• income-related Employment and Support Allowance

• Income Support

• Housing Benefit

If you’re getting one of these benefits, check your award letter to see if you’re getting an SDP.

If you recently stopped getting a benefit with an SDP, check if you’re still eligible for the SDP on GOV.UK. If you’re still eligible, you can’t claim Universal Credit for a month after your benefit stopped.

If you can’t claim Universal Credit, check what other benefits you can get.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,254 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This is the legislation for the new rules that came out on January 16th 2019 for all those claiming SDP.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • GG44
    Options
    Some people may find useful info on the pages on this link

• GG44
    Options
    Former Severe Disability Premium recipients who have already naturally migrated to Universal Credit will have access to ongoing additional monthly payments. Once the regulations are passed by Parliament and come into force, we will identify those claimants who have moved to Universal Credit and who are potentially eligible for a payment. Eligible claimants will receive both a lump-sum payment to cover the period since they moved to Universal Credit and then an ongoing monthly payment. At a point to be decided, these monthly payments will be converted into transitional protection, becoming part of the overall Universal Credit award, and treated in the same way as other transitional protection payments. We are aiming to make these payments by spring 2019.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.