Need some help are advice with ESA PIP and CA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need some help are advice with ESA PIP and CA

Weeric
Weeric Community member Posts: 11 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hi i am wondering if anyone could help me out. Me and my partner are claiming ESA as a joint claim  and was awaiting pip tribunal from 2017 . We won the tribunal on march and got the money backdated from 2017 from PIP and cause i had a claim for carers allowance but was not awarded it till we won the appeal for pip. Should i off had a ESA payment for enhanced rate ESA as a joint claim are a payment from carers allowance.

My housing benefit was calculated on ESA CA and pip from 2017 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Enhanced disability premium isn't anything to do with Carers allowance.

If you're in the Support Group for ESA then it's automatically paid and couples rate is £24.10 per week. If you're in the WRAG then you need to be claiming Enhanced daily living of PIP to qualify for this premium.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Weeric
    edited June 2019
    sorry but im not understanding this at all if this bit off info helps are makes any sense could you give me and ideas on it ?

when i first applied for carers allowance they said they cant pay me until the pip tribunal so once my partner won this i was told to contact pip and ca and inform them off the outcome of tribunal they then sent out a letter to say they owed me 3 months money as this was the time it took to process my form i then had to contact them again to let them know this date they had for my payments was not from march this year but from 2017 they then send me out another letter saying i have had this payed to me threw esa (How could this be if they said they would not pay me till tribunal now they say i have already been getting carers premium on ESA as a join claim )

Im so Confused with this all and many thanks poppy also 
  • Weeric
    I did have my forms filled out with Citizens advice when my partner took not well and this is what they said we should be getting now they say i should of been getting income support  i dont know no more :(
  • poppy123456
    This confuses a lot of people.

When claiming carers allowance with another benefit like ESA it's deducted £1 for £1 from your ESA payments, this is because you can't receive payment twice. Carers allowance then pay the £66.15 separately.

ESA then add a carers premium of £36 per week to your ESA. It's the carers premium that will be backdated and not the full carers allowance amount. It works out that you'll be £36 per week better off. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Weeric
    I have never had the payment off 66 are the 36 a week premium as they would not accept my carers allownace form till after the tribunal now they say i have already spent it and its been taken from my partners ESA but i have never got anything ? 

should we off got this carers premium of 36 a week even if i didnt fill in carers form ? once i got letter back they say they have took pound for pound from 2017 till march off this year now but how could we be getting it if carers wouldnt accept my form and pip was waiting tribual ?

Hope that makes sense many thanks again poppy 

• poppy123456
    They wouldn't accept the carers allowance claim before the Tribunal made the decision because there was no PIP award for you to be able to claim it.

You won't receive the carers premium unless you apply for carers allowance.

Since the Tribunal made the decision have you claimed for the Carers allowance? You have 3 months to do this, if you haven't claimed it.
  • Weeric
    edited June 2019
    yes i have claimed and they give me it from 2017 at 62 a week and put 20 pounds into bank and said this 

from 11/09/2018 - 08/04/2018  1871.00
            09/04/2018 - 30/12/2018  2444.80 plus the 20 give me a total of 4355.80

then less deductions of 4355.80 ESA (IR) payed to partner during the period you are due to claim carers allowance arrears.
    says i do not owe this money as it has already been deducted from your carers allowance arears total due 20 pounds they sent to bank ?
  • Weeric
    just dont understand how i could of got this money they say i spent when its like you sayed in the last comment 
  • poppy123456
    That's correct because you already received it in your ESA payments. If you received that money again then you would be paid twice. Carers allowance is deducted £1 for £1 from your ESA money.

Now you have to wait for ESA to pay you the backdated carers premium, which is £36 per week.
  • poppy123456
    Those payment dates are only up until 30/12/18 but we are now in June 2019. Since the Tribunal decision did you make another claim for Carers allowance?
  • Weeric
    That's correct because you already received it in your ESA payments. If you received that money again then you would be paid twice. Carers allowance is deducted £1 for £1 from your ESA money
    This makes sense but dont underand how i could of spent this money if  they wouldn't accept the carers allowance claim before the Tribunal made the decision because there was no PIP award for you to be able to claim it.

so lets say if me and my partner get esa at 112 a week without pip then get awarded pip and ca would this mean esa would go down by 66 a week and just payed threw carers allowance ?

Is this why i wasnt backdated carers allowance aswell 

Many thanks poppy once again

• poppy123456
    It's because the carers allowance is deducted from the ESA £1 for £1 so when you claim the carers allowance there's no backdated money to be paid to you from carers allowance because you were claiming the ESA and it's deducted from that.

Yes, the £66 is deducted from the ESA BUT then the carers premium is added onto your ESA.

Please answer this question..... which group are you in for ESA, WRAG, Support Group or assessment rate? Once i know that then i'll tell you exactly what money you'll receive each week.
  • Weeric
    Think i understand it now So even know i was not accepted for CA till after the tribunal my ESA money will still be the same with are without the claim for carers allowance then once i get accepted for CA they will just take the money from ESA and put into Carers allowance so - 66 from ESA to CA payment is this correct ?

We are on the support group and i am added to the claim as i am her partner

Thanks alot poppy  for your time really appreciated
  • poppy123456
    Your ESA money will not remain the same. They deducted the £66.15 carers allowance in full from your ESA but then they add the carers premium of £36. It means you'll be £36 per week better off.

Your ESA amount will be as follows.
    Couples rate                £114.85
    Support Group amount £38.55
    Enhanced disability premium (couples) £24.10. Total amount before claiming carers allowance = £177.50 per week.

£177.50 - £66.15 carers allowance = £111.35 + £36 carers premium =£147.35 per week ESA and carers allowance pay you £66.15 per week. Total weekly amount £213.50.

Hope this helps you understand it more.
  • poppy123456
    I suspect what they’re actually saying here is that for the period you’ve received arrears of DLA you will have since received ESA including the SDP. You can’t get SDP and CA together and the SDP is worth more than the CA. So, if they paid you any arrears of CA they would have to remove your SDP for that period as it would have been overpaid and you’d be slightly worse off. 
    I don't see anywhere above where it says both were claiming a qualifying benefit to be eligible to claim the SDP. I see it as the carers allowance can't be backdated because it's already been paid in with the ESA, which is correct.
  • Weeric
    edited June 2019
    Thanks alot Everyone for the help 

So here i have this if makes any sense

from Sep 2017 - March 2019 
    I got ESA  £114.85 and the support group of £38.55 gives me a total of £153

Then from march 2019 to june 2019 as was awarded my pip appeal at tribunal
    i got ESA £114.85 and the support group of £38.55 now they pay me Carers allowance from March 2018 of £62.70 gives me a total of £216 

So from sep 2017 till march 2019 any ideas ? have they messed by paying me carers allowance from march 2019 till june 2019 when i should be getting it threw esa now as a carers premium and if so would this now mean i have been payed short £33 from sep 2017 till march 2019 ?
  • poppy123456
    Weeric said:
    Thanks alot Everyone for the help 

So here i have this if makes any sense

from Sep 2017 - March 2019 
    I got ESA  £114.85 and the support group of £38.55 gives me a total of £153

Then from march 2019 to june 2019 as was awarded my pip appeal at tribunal
    i got ESA £114.85 and the support group of £38.55 now they pay me Carers allowance from March 2018 of £62.70 gives me a total of £216 

So from sep 2017 till march 2019 any ideas ? have they messed by paying me carers allowance from march 2019 till june 2019 when i should be getting it threw esa now as a carers premium and if so would this now mean i have been payed short £33 from sep 2017 till march 2019 ?
    They haven't missed paying you anything. If you're receiving £216 per week that's £2.50 per week more than my full breakdown of all the figures in my above post. In my opinion they don't owe you anything. Please refer to the full breakdown of your ESA award and it should say the carers premium on there.

• Weeric
    Ive only been getting the £216 from march 2019 of this year but have been awarded it from sep 2017 were i was getting £153 when should of been £216 - £214 from sep 2017 if you know what i mean is this not right ?
  • poppy123456
    No that's not correct. We really aren't getting anywhere fast here. It's often extremely difficult to give advise on an internet forum. Please take all of your paper work to either your local CAB or welfare rights and they will advise you the best way forward. This link will help you find what's in your area for face to face advice.

• Weeric
    Many thanks poppy and everyone else will let you know how it goes and what was the problem i cant understand at the moment 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.