ESA3 allready receiving premiums and/or eligible or not — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA3 allready receiving premiums and/or eligible or not

Options
melissahicking2019
melissahicking2019 Community member Posts: 131 Courageous
Hi everybody.  

Im unsure as to weather i should be applying for the ESA3 form for my friend.

I have been his carer unpaid and paid for 2 years but i am no longer due to my own health.

He has been on incapacity benefits PRE 2014 then onto ESA and placed into support group - eventually in 2015 he was awarded PIP and i became his paid carer after 6 months for 2 years.

He was eventually took of PIP and then won appeal, and we are still currently waiting for his PIP to start up again.

But he has only ever received £250 a fortnight for ESA.  No mention of premiums or top-ups

He lives alone and has no savings.

My concern is. is he eligible. He receives (according to letter in front of me - YOUR CLAIM FOR ESA ) £125.05 a week.

Past and present this has been his only income from ESA and he receives £250 a fortnight apart from whilst on PIP.

I am assuming that he receives no premiums as the letter does not mention any and support group ESA adds upto £125 without any top-ups or premiums So he should be claiming for the ESA3.

I know the  DWP should be sending out letters to everybody But my friend cant read and never opens his mail and used to rely on me to read them but i can no longer support him as a carer and theirs a good chance he will never open the letter let alone ask anybody to read it and then fill in a form so id rather get it out the way for him asap.

Does this sound right as there is no mention of any premiums and he receives what the letter says.

thank you for any advice.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,288 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Hi,

ESA Income related Support Group from 8th April 2019 is £128.45 per week. So that amount is just below what he should be claiming and includes the Enhanced disability premium, which is £16.80 per week (single person) so i'm assuming they are deducting something from his ESA.

When his PIP award starts then he should claim the severe disability premium (SDP) which i mentioned a few times on another thread of yours. The SDP is £65.85 per week from 8th April 2019 (less in previous years) To claim this he needs to ring DWP to ask to fill out the IS10 form to claim it. It will be backdated to the date his PIP previously ended. If someone decides to claim carers allowance for looking after him then he won't be able to claim this and he'll be losing out on £65.85 per week.

Whether he'll be entitled to claim it from when he was previously claiming PIP will depend whether someone was claiming carers allowance for looking after him. If they were claiming this then he won't be able to claim it that far back.

He needs to wait until DWP process the PIP award decision from the Tribunal before he can claim it.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • melissahicking2019
    melissahicking2019 Community member Posts: 131 Courageous
    Options
    "claim the severe disability premium (SDP) which i mentioned a few times on another thread of yours"

ahh. yes i remember thank you. so the support group awards a premium with it of £16.80 

so i donnot have to do anything then. And yes whilst on PIP i was his carer so he wont be eligible then.

just did not fully understand his position in relation to his ESA. thank you poppy.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,288 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes those in the Support Group claiming Income related the Enhanced disability premium is automatically paid.

You say you were his carer BUT were you claiming carers allowance for looking after him? You can be a carer but not claim the carers allowance. If you weren't claiming the carers allowance at that time then they will backdate all the SDP from the time he qualified.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.