Has anyone ever claimed for ppi? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone ever claimed for ppi?

starbuck
starbuck Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
I'm not sure if this is the right category. 
A friend of ours has had a large payout after she claimed for a mis-sold ppi. She's nagging me to make a claim in case I'm owed anything but I'm scared to in case I was awarded a large amount. 
I probably wouldn't be owed much if anything at all but if I was lucky enough to claim back more than £6000 then it would reduce my benefits. That in itself is not such a problem as I would have the money in the bank but it seems overcomplicated to have to account to the Dwp if you spend the money and it drops back below the £6000 limit. 
I don't want to claim in case this happens. My husband says I'm getting ahead of myself and we'd probably only be owed a small amount anyway.
Has anyone else on means tested benefits won a ppi claim?

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @starbuck, sorry no one has responded yet. I suggest it might be worth contacting Citizens Advice regarding this as they will have more information :)
    Scope

• starbuck
  • kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    you have to have all evidence of what you paid back for any loans you took out as my mum had thousands of debt or owed money and she should get thousands of ppi back but unfortunately as my dad has lack of evidence even though he has tried to send what he can which is quite a lot anyway , they still want more documents and refuse to pay out, however, his friend was successful at his claim and got a thousand back so people do it somehow
  • kami24
    put it into your daughter or sons account is the only thing I can suggest but then again that could be fraud still as it would still be in your name
  • kami24
    think it would be taxable income
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    kami24 said:
    put it into your daughter or sons account is the only thing I can suggest but then again that could be fraud still as it would still be in your name
    That would definitely be classed as fraud.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    There are firms that do all the paperwork for you checking which companies you did or may of had loans with credit cards ect, yes it costs 30% of any money I had a few all under £100 so after costs worked out £70 per claim some people have thousands back worth a go. 
  • starbuck
    I spoke to Citizens Advice but they didn't tell me much, just what I already knew about savings thresholds and deductions if you go over. They thought ppi may come under an insurance claim and be disregarded for 6 months. 
    I'm getting more and more anxious about this as my husband wants to claim with the deadline looming. We may never have had ppi but I'm terrified to claim and then find out we're over our savings limit.
     I know we could spend it on things we need around the house but to be honest we don't need much and the thought of having to keep receipts and send bank statements to the dwp leaves me cold. With my anxiety problems i prefer to have as little contact with them as possible.

• poppy123456
    PPI refunds don't come under insurance claims and are not disregarded for 6 months.

You certainly won't have to keep receipts for every single thing you buy. There's no specific rule for deprivation of capital but obviously giving the money away or buying the most expensive things you can buy is a different matter entirely.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • starbuck
    What would happen if I gave a few quid to my family now and then (I'm not talking hundreds - just something like £50 now and then when things get tight for them) Would that be classed as deprivation? 
  • poppy123456
    It will depend how much and how often you do this. If it's regular then it maybe questioned but like i said there's no definite answer regarding deprivation of capital. The only person that can really answer that is a decision maker from DWP.
  • starbuck
    It's so tricky. I'd really rather not claim and then I won't have to worry about it. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I’d get in contact with DWP they might be able to help you 
  • davet
    davet Community member Posts: 77 Courageous
    I have a number of PPI claims ongoing and I did receive a cheque from barclaycard recently, although I initially started this claim with a reclaim company barclaycard contacted me directly and I had an interesting chat with the gentleman, I did raise the point of the £6000 saving threshold with him and he advised me that it is very rare that a PPI refund would amount to that anyway. I duly received a cheque for almost three thousand pounds and as that was the only amount of savings I had, I did not advise the DWP I still have a number of claims ongoing and will no doubt do the same if they come to fruition it does anger me however thatwe are placed in this position of worry over something like this, after all it is simply a refund of monies which we have paid out, often many years ago
  • starbuck
    It is a worry as I have a bit of savings in case we get moved onto Universal Credit.
    Were you worried in case it was a larger amount?
  • starbuck
    Another question I often wonder about is what do they consider savings? We have a little in our savings account which rarely changes but our current account fluctuates wildly over the month. Do they count what's in both accounts even though the current one varies so much? 
  • poppy123456
    All bank accounts are savings, whether it's a savings acc or current account. Also any money which isn't in a bank is counted.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    No. I never applied for PPI in the first place. I have heard waay too many stories in the news over the years that scare me. 
  • starbuck
    So when the current account is looking good, just before all the bills go out, is that counted as savings? Even though a couple of days later it's down to nearly zero again?
  • poppy123456
    The income you receive from benefits is not counted as savings for the period in which it's from. Once you receive your next payment then your previous payment is then classed as savings, if you have anything left.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.