Motability for none household member — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Motability for none household member

fisherprice84
fisherprice84 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hello, so my wife’s family is currently on motability for their daughter with disabilities, in which their other son has the motability car however he has just handed this back because he is moving to Australia but I am wondering if I could take this on under a new lease because I am the only other driver in the family.  I am the husband of their second daughter but we do not live in the same household and I’m not currently a carer.

Thank you 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, I would firstly contact mobility and explaining your situation and see what they offer or come up with, let us know how you get on. 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @fisherprice84

Could you expand on “handed the car back” and two named drivers can use the car on behalf on the PIP recipient.

Have you spoken to Motability Operations, they are very helpful and supportive.

Keep us informed.
  • fisherprice84
    Sorry it seems I created multiple topics, the site doesn't seem to be working right.

So to explain the car has been handed back to the local car garage where we signed up for the motability, so its already gone now.  I don't want to be a named driver because I am the only other eligible driver now in the family.

Just getting some advice before we proceed.
  • Matt_Scope
    Matt_Scope Scope Posts: 56 Pioneering
    Can I just check who is the recipient of DLA ?  as it is them that has possible entitlement to Motability 
  • fisherprice84
    The DLA recipient will be my wifes sister who has the disability I imagine or her parents who are the primary carers.  I am just trying to figure out if I can now apply to get the mobility car now that its been handed back.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi

As far as I am aware the PIP recipient takes out the lease agreement with motability, then you have two named drivers. Hope this is making sense.

The fact that you live at a different address, makes no difference if the car is used at all times for the benefit of claimant.

As previously explained contact Motability and talk through your situation.

Hope this helps.
  • fisherprice84
    Ok that is great news, I did ring motability just now and the nice lady explained that the car doesn't have to be kept at the address, i don't have to be a named carer etc etc and as you said above too.  Just that during the application at the dealership it will put a hold on it whilst they make contact with me and the family to confirm that the daughter will still have full use of the vehicle when she requires it.  Which is fine as i have my own car too.

Just wanted to confirm this for anyone else in a similar situation.

Thanks everyone.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Has the car been handed back to motorbility  ?
    Check out the motorbility scheme

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    What happened to the car? I recommend calling Motability in the morning to ask. 
  • fisherprice84
    It’s been handed back to the dealership and now been resolved with motability.  I’m only automatic anyway so would need to be a different car
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    They would need to speak to motability about this. I wouldn't like to say whether or not they will be able to lease another car when one has only recently been returned. The person claiming the mobility award must have at least 12 months left on the award to be eligible for a car anyway.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • fisherprice84
    She has autism so I don’t see that being a problem ...
  • poppy123456
    She has autism so I don’t see that being a problem ...
    That doesn't make any difference here. The person that claims the mobility part will still need to have at least 12 months remaining on the award to lease a vehicle.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • fisherprice84
    oh right, ok.  well she has had the award for the last 20 years so i dont see it being an issue.  if theres less than 12 months we have to wait is what your saying?
  • fisherprice84
    oh i think i understand now, so the motability car we had was 12 months old on a 3 year lease therefore there should be more than 12 months remaining?  am i on the right track now.
  • poppy123456
    No, that's not what i mean. There has to be at least 12 months remaining on the mobility award. As the DLA award has been there for 20 years then it's possible it's an indefinite award.

The DLA claimant needs to contact motability and they will answer any questions.

Brightness