Refund — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Refund

Options
lesley1967
lesley1967 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I’ve just been given 23 thousand pounds refund on my esa underpayment. Will I lose my future esa? Housing benefits council tax and pip? Will I lose them until I reach 16 thousand pounds savings and be able to claim for them again? 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @lesley1967   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide and advise and help new members who join the forum.

I would speak to some one like a welfare organisation like CAB.  Not too sure of an answer. To your question.

I know there will be members of our community or a member of our team who may be able to answer the questions you have.

Please I hope that helps.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • lesley1967
    Options
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

If the money you received is because of a DWP error that's to do with the Incapacity benefit to ESA transfer then this money is disregarded for the life of the ESA claim for all means tested benefits because it's more than £5,000. It should have stated this on the decision letter.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @lesley,1967, as the back payment is money that was, is owed to you I am sure its not counted for the first 12 months of receiving, after that it will be counted as savings, there are ways to legally reduce this amount one being take out a prepaid funeral plan these can range from £5000 to £10000 depending on your requirements. Getting some financial advice would not go a miss. Keep us up dated how you get on others may benefit from your experience. 
  • lesley1967
    Options
    Ok thanks. Will do 
  • lesley1967
    Options
    I will have to pay my rent and council tax from now on won’t I? Will it affect my husbands pension do you know? 
  • lesley1967
    Options
    I’ve just been given this information o you quote:

“Schedule 9 paragraph 11(2) of the Employment and Support
    Allowance Regulations 2008, any arrears of £5,000 or more paid as a result of
    official error are ignored until then end of that award and this should be clarified
    on claimant’s letters”

I’ve just received my esa award notice saying my payment will be continued as before  so great news . Just need to see if it will affect housing Benefit council tax and my husbands pension 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I’ve just been given this information o you quote:

“Schedule 9 paragraph 11(2) of the Employment and Support
    Allowance Regulations 2008, any arrears of £5,000 or more paid as a result of
    official error are ignored until then end of that award and this should be clarified
    on claimant’s letters”

I’ve just received my esa award notice saying my payment will be continued as before  so great news . Just need to see if it will affect housing Benefit council tax and my husbands pension 

As it's a DWP error then it should also be disregarded for all of your means tested benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lesley1967
    Options
    Thank you for your help. Much appreciated 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @lesley1967, I'm glad our members have been able to help you with this. 

I replied in your other thread before spotting this one that @poppy123456 has already answered, so I've deleted the old thread. 
    It was my understanding that it would be disregarded and I'm glad to see others have also given you this advice. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • lesley1967
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.