Save money on shaving foam/gel — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Save money on shaving foam/gel

Options
GettinOlde
GettinOlde Community member Posts: 495 Pioneering
Personally. I use a soap-stick and brush, but you can make a can of gel or foam last 2 or 3 times longer by spraying a small amount into a shaving brush to apply - you won't waste any having to rinse it from your hands, good for men and women. B)
Resident joker - not to be taken too seriously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comments

• zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    well that seems like a good tip, thanks, will give it a go and see how i get on, don't shave much as my dad always said to me, son, if you shave every day, you will be shaving every day for the rest of your life, and it worked, just every 4 or 5 days once a week is plenty, so may take a while to reply
  • GettinOlde
    GettinOlde Community member Posts: 495 Pioneering
    Options
    Talking of frequency, if I shave outside of a 3/4 day window (odd, I know) I develop a rash due to seborrheic dermatitis bought on by stupidly using the incorrect lubricant for my hair clippers, 3-in-1 general-purpose oil - be warned. :/
    Resident joker - not to be taken too seriously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    that reminds me..must get my  carer to shave my legs....be wanting my crops out with the weather forecast!
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I always tend to nick myself shaving my legs these days so now use the hair removal cream.  It stinks a bit until you shower it off, but find it to be good.  Enjoy the sun, @pollyanna1052:smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I use an electric shaver myself, was bought it as a gift a few years ago and find it so much better than the old manual type!  I use it dry (no foam) so no mess and haven't cut myself with it at all, I was often catching myself with the manual one and can't cope with blood.  It's also still on the original cutting head after nearly 2 years instead of having to keep replacing blades so cheaper in the long run and less plastic waste too.

The main problem I have shaving is the left hand 'corner' of my chin.  I think there must be a nerve running through there, I have to be really careful in that area otherwise it triggers hiccups (really not ideal as I already suffer with indigestion & reflux!!) which are then extremely difficult to stop.  Can't say I've heard of anyone else having this issue though so maybe it's just me! :D
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious How are you these days old chap? Well I hope.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    leeCal said:
    @OverlyAnxious How are you these days old chap? Well I hope.
    Hi Lee, sorry I haven't been about much lately.  Not doing well at all as you've probably guessed!  The Scope team have been trying to help behind the scenes but my situation seems to be unique in preventing access to any treatment or assistance services.

On topic for the thread, I'm still using the same electric shaver, although it has had a new foil since!
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,584 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good to see you are still here @OverlyAnxious I'd guessed you were struggling

To reply to the thread topic I read, and based on personal experience now believe, that shaving foam is actually superfluous in the first place. Water works just as well.

This is with the modern T shaped razors, if you use an old fashioned cut throat razor or something similar I am guessing you'd still need shaving foam.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,826 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Hope you feel your old self again soon @OverlyAnxious
    My son goes to a barbers who trims and shapes his beard. Uses a razor old fashioned.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I wish you well ASAP @OverlyAnxious, take care . 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    good to hear from you @OverlyAnxious look after yourself.

Back to shaving since I stopped work I only really shave once a week
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness