Wardrobe for Wheelchair Users — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wardrobe for Wheelchair Users

Options
pwbutt
pwbutt Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I am moving home and I want to buy (if possible) a wardrobe that is accessible for a wheelchair user. I wonder if someone can help me please

Comments

• Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @pwbutt

I don't know what you will think of this idea, but have you considered using a Sideboard or a kitchen cabinets positioned at ground level? Many of these units have draws too, and when you consider that most of these cabinets are nothing less than a small sized wardrobe (but called something else) you may find a suitable one for your own particular needs... Just a thought!  
  • kazzy1
    kazzy1 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Options
    You can get those pull down clothes rails ....
  • pwbutt
    Options
    Hi, Roddy the problem with the idea you gave it would be ok Shelf wise but as for hanging suits etc, I think that would be a problem, I think. But thanks for replying
  • pwbutt
    Options
    Hi Kazzy I did think of that and that's the way I may have to go, but the reason I posted is that I've seen some pictures of low height wardrobes for wheelchair users but that's all they are, they don't state where they can be bought from but as I say I guess that'll be an option I end up with. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    edited June 2019
    Options
    pwbutt said:
    Hi, Roddy the problem with the idea you gave it would be ok Shelf wise but as for hanging suits etc, I think that would be a problem, I think. But thanks for replying
    I do know that there are 'tall wall' kitchen cabinets which are large enough to accommodate a suit. An extending rail could also be used inside the cabinet (such as a shower curtain rail) perhaps.  Tall wall cabinets are all approximately 66cm high and rather than having their handle on the bottom of the door, they can be placed at the top of the door for ease of opening from a wheelchair... Have a look at these?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=tall+wall+kitchen+cabinet&form=HDRSC2&first=1&cw=1129&ch=446
  • kazzy1
    Options
    pwbutt said:
    Hi Kazzy I did think of that and that's the way I may have to go, but the reason I posted is that I've seen some pictures of low height wardrobes for wheelchair users but that's all they are, they don't state where they can be bought from but as I say I guess that'll be an option I end up with. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Ikea do kids wardrobes which are lower

• kazzy1
    Options

Brightness