PIP appeal after tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP appeal after tribunal

Options
catgirl
catgirl Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi. I failed my PIP tribunal, being allocated 4 points (7 on previous tribunal with same conditions). I was extremely stressed not having slept properly and felt very intimidated by having 6 people in the room (the usual panel, an observing judge, the clerk and a trainee clerk). I have terrible anxiety in that type of situation and struggle to express my thoughts and think of the relevant information so I don't feel I can represent myself well at all.  During the hearing I was told that we would only focuse on my situation as it was at the time of my application around summer 2018, yet I was questioned about some activities I started attending in the autumn. Also, they completly ignored what I said in my appeal letter about my difficulties going to unfamiliar places and kept asking me about my 2.5 mile journey to work.  They also ignored my difficulties with cooking, the fact that I often use a stool, need light weight pots and pans, and I don't cook as often as I'd like. I said I try to cook from fresh once a day. I support a couple of gentlemen with learning disabilities in their home  about 3 times a week and help them with their cooking which consists of ready meals in the microwave or oven so they focused on that instead of my own issues. They also completely ignored my budgeting issues and my anxiety about purchases of larger items (been living for years with broken furniture because of it despite having the money available).  I have requested a statement of reasons and the notes from the hearing which should arrive very soon.  Can anyone please help with the following?

1) Might any of the above points be considered errors in law?
2) How do I find a no win no fee solicitor in Surrey who could advise and also offer representation on upper tribunal? I have already googled as much as I possibly can.

Many thanks.

Comments

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @catgirl - I think you really need professional legal advice as you have stated. You might need to make some telephone calls and ask about 'No win, no fee'..

How many points did you score for 'preparing food'? 

The reason I ask is that you say that you 'often' need to sit down, and don't cook as often as you'd like. 

I wonder if the panel concluded that you can prepare a meal for one most of the time, taking into account this evidence and also that you, commendably, help the two others with cooking (albeit only three days per week)

Just a thought - good luck with finding the representation that you need.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @catgirl and a warm welcome to the community! I'm sorry you didn't get the points you needed. It may be worth contacting citizens advice to see what they would recommend. Hopefully the community will have more suggestions for you soon :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.