Need part time work that allows me to sit down - low experience — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need part time work that allows me to sit down - low experience

James87s
James87s Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi,
I won't go into much detail about my health issue but it has affect me for 4 years. Basically prolonged standing is very painful and i can only do it for 1-2 hours. I'm 22 years old and with little experience. I've been looking for part time work with little luck in terms of finding something suitable. I've spoken to recruitment agencies who would just keep sending my unsuitable jobs (seemingly ignore the disability i mentioned) and i went to the job center who allowed me to do some work experience there very kindly but they said they wasn't able to find anything or atleast nothing 'came up'. 
I'm back from university this summer and i'm planning on doing some volunteering of which will hopefully be more flexible in terms of being able to sit down. But my family (as am i) are keen for me to get paid employment as of course when i come out of university in 2 years i will struggle to get a job with little experience on my CV.

Comments

• LaughingLolly
    LaughingLolly Community member Posts: 100 Pioneering
    Try speaking to a work based Occupational therapist, your GP or a Scope advisors about work. 
    A laugh a day keeps the psychiatrist at bay. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hi @James87s
    Our Support to Work programme might be of use to you. You can find out more about it here, or @Isaac_Scope or @mwila_scope, might be able to offer some information about it.

If they're of interest, Scope also have a range of volunteering opportunities available.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Isaac_Alumni
    Isaac_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 2 Listener

Hi @James87s

Thank you for posting your message on our online community. I suggest
    that you keep looking for voluntary work because there's many opportunities available out there and it will be nice to have more jobs and references to put onto your CV. Look to the below link for more advice on making a good CV
    https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/writing-cv/

An office job where you are not doing any physically taxing duties may
    be more suitable to what you're looking for and I suggest finding volunteer administrative jobs to build on your admin skills or look to volunteer at charity shops at hours that would suit you.

Our Support to Work programme can support with suggesting the best places to look for jobs and
    also support you to apply for them. For more information click on the below link
    https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/support-to-work/

Our Support to Work is open to disabled people who:

• are 16 years or over
    • are looking for a paid job
    • have internet, email and telephone or Skype access
    • live in England or Wales
    Good luck and let us know how you get on
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    What about office work? Keep us posted. Do you have a resume or not? Also contact companies to see if they can hire you. Another good way of finding work is to check the newspaper job section for information on suitable vacancies. Have you searched the Internet? Alternatively asking about current vacancies at career fairs will ultimately yield results. Keep your options open at first then narrow it down. Do ask around.
    What are your skills and qualities? When jobhunting, stay focused. Try to stay positive easier said than done I know! Best of luck. Networking is also a excellent way to find a suitable career. Make sure you update your resume accordingly. Also do read the job description and person specification carefully. It provides useful info that will help you. 

Brightness