Pip / autism denied then a few years later accepted? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip / autism denied then a few years later accepted?

sunset
sunset Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi everyone :smile:
i have autism and I first applied for pip in 2016 and I was told no. It was very stressful for me. I was reading online about how many people with autism are successful and I decided to try again this year 2019. A nurse visited me at home as I’m agoraphobic, my medicine is delivered in the post. I have been successful this time. Although no payment has been received yet, it’s been 4 weeks. Will I get back paid from the first claim or this recent one? I have seen a article in the news about people who should have been entitled to the pip payment being back dated? Either way I’m grateful to have been successful this time! Any information about this will be much appreciated. Thank You x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm afraid you won't receive backdated money from the first time you applied. It will be backdated to the date you started your claim this time. Have you had a decision on this claim yet or just a face to face assessment?

What you've read in the news is for those who have already claimed and it's regarding changes to following and planning a journey part of the mobility.  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-changes/overwhelming-psychological-distress-and-journeys-changes-to-pip-law-from-28-november-2016

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sunset and welcome to the community! As @poppy123456 has said, unfortunately it cannot be backdated this far. Congratulations on being successful this time! I hope you find the community a supportive place and please do let me know if there is anything else we can do to help :)
    Scope

• mercedesbd
    mercedesbd Community member Posts: 109 Courageous
    Hello. Well done for getting what your entitled to. I’m applying for the same and other conditions got declined got to go Tribunal if you don’t mind me asking what rates did you get?
  • sunset
    sunset Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, thanks for everyone’s replies. I got high level on both compartments. I was quite surprised as last time it’ was just a no. I went into it this time with no expectations, I’m actually a lot better mentally too as I’ve learnt coping mechanisms over the past few years.

Try to send in a Autism / Aspergers certificate.

If you contact the people who assessed you they will send one out.  That made the difference for me, other then just writing it last time.

If you have any form of autism go for pip, and don’t give up. Even if you don’t need the extra money (which i do) save it for the future as autism and security are important. Good luck x
  • Pipquestions2
    Pipquestions2 Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    sunset said:
    Hi, thanks for everyone’s replies. I got high level on both compartments. I was quite surprised as last time it’ was just a no. I went into it this time with no expectations, I’m actually a lot better mentally too as I’ve learnt coping mechanisms over the past few years.

Try to send in a Autism / Aspergers certificate.

If you contact the people who assessed you they will send one out.  That made the difference for me, other then just writing it last time.

If you have any form of autism go for pip, and don’t give up. Even if you don’t need the extra money (which i do) save it for the future as autism and security are important. Good luck x
     It's about how autism effects you. Some people have mild forms of autism and wouldn't get pip.

Well done on winning enhanced both. Glad you finally got what you deserved after all these years. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Congratulation on winning your claim @sunset! This is amazing news!
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.