Do you have problems processing the sounds your ears hear — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you have problems processing the sounds your ears hear

Options
dolfrog
dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
Hi all,

Many can have problems with their brain processing the sounds that their ears hear, this can be a genetic issues and is an Auditory Processing Disorder (which is a life long set of issues and symptoms which can include developmental dyslexia), and there are acquired causes such as brain injury, stroke, and dementia and can be part of the various types of Aphasia, Auditory Agnosia and including Acquired Dyslexia also known as Alexia.

Currently there is a lack of UK medical and support professionals who are adequately trained and qualified to assess , diagnose and provide the support that those of us who may have these issues on a life long basis. 

I have a clinical diagnosis of having the Temporal type of Auditory Processing Disorder, my brain having problems processing the gaps between sounds, which can include the gaps between words in rapid speech, unable to process and understand conversations as they happen, word recall problems and poor auditory memory. My Auditory Processing Disorder is the underlying cognitive cause of my dyslexia symptom. 

Hopefully all UK Audiologists will soon be adequately trained and qualified to provide the understand and support those of us  who have these issues and also will be able to work as part of a support team with UK Speech and Language Pathologists ( who call these issues a Specific Language Impairment (SLI) and are marketing a new name Developmental Language Disorder) and Psychologists who currently claim to diagnose the dyslexia symptom.  

Comments

• LaughingLolly
    LaughingLolly Community member Posts: 100 Pioneering
    Options
    I Tried to share this point with a Neuro psychiatrist and recently with my GP But will try again. There is more than one part of my brain that struggles to process both audio and words. WIith audio it's certain frequencies. Those frequencies which would have at one time been heard 'normally ' I guess sound like a blackboArd being scratched and I have an involuntary withdrawal response to them. The other processing issue is language. Quite simply put the longer someone talks for the more disturbing it becomes to me. Words. JUmble together, sounds become tangled, the whole thing gets too much and I shut down. I suffer with non-epileptic seizures and have been trying to explain that my triggers are current (not past) and are auditory. I have even talked about being referred to a neuro - audio logist for special ear plugs but haven't met anyone advanced enough to even grasp what I'm dscribing. YEt...I love in hope. 
    A laugh a day keeps the psychiatrist at bay. 
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Hi @LaughingLolly
    I have an Evernote web page where i have listed some recent international Auditory Processing Disorder research, which is listed country by country "Some International Auditory Processing Disorder Research Papers" I hope this helps, 
    I helped the UK Medical Research Council run a 5 year Auditory Processing Disorder research program 2004 -2009, and helped run the support organisation they required to get government funding for their research program. 
    There are currently 4 different types of Auditory Processing Disorder, there could well be more as research improve our understanding of these complex issues. 

Brightness