Mobility car lose — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobility car lose

bluebob
bluebob Community member Posts: 13 Connected
Why have I lost my mobility cars after the last time I won my tribunal when the judge agreed in my favour but now I have lost my car again after my latest assessment.  I have ostioarthuritous  all over my body plus I have mental health issues PTSD . where do they get there assessors front.  Now I have to wait for pip to reply to my mandatory  appeal . PIP IS A MASSIVE JOKE

Comments

• Pipquestions2
    Pipquestions2 Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    That's the risk of using a mobility car. Sometimes you're better off just using the money to pay for your own car even if it is a little more expensive, at least it's yours and they can't take it off you.

It's not ideal but maybe when you get the lump sum backdated at tribunal/MR you should think about putting it towards buying your own car.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @bluebob - sorry to hear you situation.

If you search here there's lots of good advice about how to approach a tribunal if it gets that far.

It's obviously of no use now but I wonder if in the future you might consider @Pipquestions2 's advice - personally I'd rather have my own car, rather than one that effectively belongs to the DWP. Much depends on your situation.

Good luck with the MR...
  • Pipquestions2
    Pipquestions2 Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    cristobal said:

If you search here there's lots of good advice about how to approach a tribunal if it gets that far.

It's obviously of no use now but I wonder if in the future you might consider @Pipquestions2 's advice - personally I'd rather have my own car, rather than one that effectively belongs to the DWP. Much depends on your situation.

Good luck with the MR...
    Does DWP have any actual involvement in the mobility cars or does it end at simply transfering the money to motability? Always wondered that

But definitely agree with you, unless you rely on the enhanced mobility to cover the costs of a car in the first place, it seems much wiser to just get your own and not have it directly linked to a benefit that can be stripped at any time and leave you in a hard spot.
  • mercedesbd
    mercedesbd Community member Posts: 109 Courageous
    cristobal said:

Good luck with the MR...
    DWP don’t own the cars they have no involvement except exchanging your allowance. Motability Operations own the cars .. Except DWP have control over the allowance not the car 
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @Pipquestions2 @mercedesbd  You're right...what I was trying to say, very badly, was that it's better to have a car that's not reliant on having PIP to pay for it. 

As far as I know you can't keep a Motability car, by paying direct, if you're not on PIP even for a short period.

(I don't have one so I probably should have kept quiet!)
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    We don’t have a Motability car. It might be more expensive but my partner knows how to fix cars so he bought one in 2014 and we used the DLA money to adapt it. 
  • bluebob
    bluebob Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Thanks all I'm going to bite the bullet and purchase a car and if I win my MA I will adapt the my car myself . What annoys me with pip is I'm not going to get but worse as my doctor said to me once if he can find a cure he will me from his yacht in the Bahamas.  Lol
  • drewdundee
    drewdundee Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Many people with PTSD and mental health issues get better. My brother had ptsd from a severe crash which he was involved in which someone died, he suffered a lot but recovered though medication and councelling, he also found that working really helped him start to recover and live a better life. Hes now much better married with a newborn so it can happen. Just wanted to say don't write yourself off.
  • drewdundee
    drewdundee Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    edited June 2019
    Nm wrote this by accident

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.