Bethany Dodgson: Travel as a carer with a chronic illness — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bethany Dodgson: Travel as a carer with a chronic illness

Options
bethd15
bethd15 Community member Posts: 5 Listener

Hello, my name is Bethany and I am 26 years old. I have F.V.S (Fetal Valproate Syndrome), Epilepsy, M.E & an Underactive Thyroid. I currently work in the hospitality industry as well as that, I am a carer for my mum and brother who have challenges from a range of disabilities and medical conditions.

Because of all this, travelling or even a holiday can be a headache before we pick the destination! What type of medical insurance will we need? Is there any medication which is illegal in the country we wish to go to? Will the place be suitable for my mum or brother? how long will we be travelling for or issues at the airport, just to name a few.

With all the questions we need answering, its always best to start with the simple tasks: first pick the destination, for the last few years, I went to New York, U.S.A and will be taking my brother next year! After I have picked the destination, I check on the UK government website for information about medication, visa requirements etc. The next step can take a few days which is finding the best insurance cover (in 2011 I had my second seizure in Turkey which resulted in a week stay in hospital). As it gets closer to the date, I ring the airline I am travelling with and explain the conditions we have and that we will need assistance. Last year my local airport brought out invisible disability awareness lanyards and it made being in the airport so much easier for my brother. Border control made him feel at ease with everything and we got boarded first. Another task that needs to be completed is the doctors’ note to carry the medication into a different country.

Aircraft cabin

The hardest thing about going on holiday is being worried you will take ill in a place where no one can help you. I have found from going away that is not the case. People can be cruel, but they can be so kind and helpful with anything you may need. I was travelling to my destination resort in Turkey when I was 13 years old with my family, at the rest stop I had a seizure (this was only my second one). I was taken to the hospital in Marmaris, where I would be staying, while the staff took care of me, they also took care of my mum and the bars around the hotel looked after her too. Towards the end of my hospital stay I was sick of hospital food and the local bar provided me with free meals until I was discharged.

As a person with a range of chronic illnesses (and being a carer) it can be a lot of stress and hassle thinking of holidays but with the right support and information it can be the most rewarding experience.

Can you relate to Bethany’s story? Please share your travelling and holiday experiences with us.

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experiences with us Bethany.  This is an interesting read.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • bethd15
    bethd15 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for allowing me to share my experience of travelling for myself, I know each person will have their own positive and negative experiences 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are very welcome @bethd15.  It is an interesting topic so thanks again for bringing it to the Community.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Krystal
    Krystal Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Options
    Hi all my name is Krystal, as discussion all of coffee shops, shopping for for all different categories, I don’t do travel on any transportation as the 1st the driver could not even lower the the bus so that service is definitely out of question and then friends wanted to take me to  Birmingham  To the new prime mark I had arranged with the train service when I got there yet again no ramps so that it really. My electric will chair as given up the ghost so can’t go out one my own as my arms don’t work properly so I asked my social work to find  someone to help, my O/T  is just **** off as the NHS when I phoned them I was told that they had just finished the 2017 list.

Brightness