Universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit

delise1
delise1 Community member Posts: 55 Connected
Hello I need some advice I have signed up for universal credit and have to attend a interview can anyone please help and what type of questions they asked at these interview please let me know many thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Everything you need to know about this first appointment is here in this link.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • delise1
    Hi poppy123456 thanks so much for your reply now I don't feel so worried about this thank you really appreciate it. 
  • delise1
    Hi hart86 thank you so much for your reply really appreciated now I feel less stressed out and worried. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Good morning @delise1. When is your interview? I think the use of the word 'interview' makes them sound really intense and causes unnecessary worry. Best of luck with it and let us know how you get on. I'm sure our members would like to hear a first-hand experience. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • delise1
    Adrian_scope thanks for getting back to me today the 24/06/2019 is my interview am just worried about the group that the will put me in even though I am not able to work because of my disability thanks again for replying to me
  • poppy123456
    You won't be placed into a group today. You'll most likely have to agree to your claimant commitments.

If you have limited capability for work then you'll need to send in fit/sick notes from your GP. You will eventually be referred for a work capability assessment assessment and you'll be sent the work capability assessment forms to fill in and return with all your evidence. Once they receive this back you'll most likely have to attend a work capability assessment and they will assess your ability to do any type of job. All this could take quite a few months. Eventually a decision will be made on the assessment which will either be fit for work, limited capability for work (LCW)  or limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA).

If the decision is LCWRA then you'll receive an extra £336 per month in your UC from the 4th month of your claim starting from when you sent in your first fit note.

Do be aware that a fit note from a GP doesn't automatically entitle you to LCW. You may still have to do some work commitments but that will depend on your work coach. Some will turn them off but not all of them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Adrian_Scope
    edited June 2019
    Hi @delise1

Do I recall correctly that you used to claim support group ESA? Did this end because you claimed UC or were you found fit for work? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    Thanks for that @Adrian_Scope, i didn't think of looking back at previous threads which i have now done. I see that @delise1 was claiming ESA but moving in with their partner meant they weren't entitled to it because of the partner working 40 hours per week.

@delise1 this is a very important question. When your partner moved in did your ESA claim stop completely, or did it continue for you to receive NI credits towards your state pension only?

Also do be aware that the child tax credits you're currently receiving will stop and transfer to UC. Whether your claim is successful will depend on household income.
  • delise1
    Adrian_scope thanks for getting back to me yes I ESA support group until my partner moved in and it stop
  • Adrian_Scope
    As @poppy123456 mentioned above, it may be worth you getting in touch with ESA to check whether they kept your claim open and just made NI contributions on your behalf. 
    If so, your support group status should move with you over to Universal Credit, meaning you won’t need to go through the initial assessment process and handing in sick notes. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • delise1
    Poppy123456 thanks for your answer my doctor gave a 3 month sick so I will bring it with me to my interview today many thanks 
  • painter
    painter Community member Posts: 52 Pioneering
    Yes do check your National Insurance stamps are up to date.  As I am nearing retirement age, still have 6 yrs to go before I reach pension age , I thought I would check online.  To my horror I hadn’t had my stamp paid for about six yrs!! Despite being in support group of ESA since 2010.  Had to make many phone calls and jump through hoops to get it sorted. A DWP supervisor from Cardiff eventually got it sorted for me. He said this was happening to thousands of ESA clients so always make a regular check to ensure DWP are paying them to the HMRC.
  • poppy123456
    delise1 said:
    Poppy123456 thanks for your answer my doctor gave a 3 month sick so I will bring it with me to my interview today many thanks 
    Please answer my previous question. When your partner moved in did your ESA claim stop completely and close or did it remain open for you to continue to receive the NI credits towards your state pension. If it did remain open then your ESA support group award will transfer to UC. If you don't know whether it remained open then you'll need to ring ESA and ask.
  • delise1
    MY ESA STOP WHEN MY PARTNER MOVED IN BUT REMAIN OPEN THEY ONLY THING THEY WASN'T MAKING ANY PAYMENT TO I PHONED THEM TODAY AND THEY SAID MY CLAIM IS STILL OPEN I HOPE THIS HELPS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION MANY THANKS 
  • Adrian_Scope
    edited June 2019
    That's brilliant news @delise1. It means that once your UC claim begins, you can ask them to send an MPG1 form to ESA so that your support group status can be transferred over to UC. This should happen automatically but it doesn't always, so make sure you point it out as soon as you can.

Hope that helps and I hope you got on well at your interview today. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    Yes it does thank you.

As your claim is still open this means that your Support Group award will be honoured for your UC claim and you should be given the equivalent to this for UC which is limited capability for work related activity. It can take a little while for ESA to transfer your award across to UC but you need to put a note on your journal telling the you were in the Support Group for ESA and you want your award transferred across.

Once it's transferred across you'll receive the extra £336 per month.

You'll most likely need to send in those fit notes until this is done. Also do be aware that they can re-assess you at anytime. Hope this helps.
  • delise1
    Thank you all so much for all of the support i really appreciated 
  • delise1
    Hello can anyone help me with this question as am so stressed out about my universal credit on the 27 June they wrote in my journal that I need to go to an assessment for ESA again which I received the form today. So I written a note on my journal 27June at 9.19 pm and said that I was on ESA support group and when my partner moved in my ESA stop but remain open so if they could please transfer it over to my universal credit because that's what they say would happen. Long story short on the 28 June at 10.27 am a lady wrote in my journal that that the decision has been transferred over you will receive the limited capability (LCWRA)element on universal credit until Approx August 2020 at which stage we would invite you to another medical assessment. Please ignore the previous letter on your journal you will not need to attend a referral I will cancel this for you now thank you. Then today I received a P45 from ESA say that my ESA 500 ceased on the 19/06/2019 yet still when I phoned Job centre plus on the 24/06/2019 my claim was still open am so confused and stressed out I don't know what to do now I also received 2 letter from jobcentreplus dated 25 June 2019 saying that we have look at your claim again following a recent change we cannot pay you an allowance from 20 June 2019 this is because is because you are required to claim universal credit. The next letter says we are writing to tell you that the contributory element of Employment and support Allowance can count as taxable income for the period up to 19 June 2019 in the 2019/20 tax year no support and allowance was paid  you will receive form P45. If you starting work give it to your new employer if not retain it for future use or reference. Am so confused I haven't received a letter from ESA jobcentreplus since my partner moved I have to keep phoning about my claim which they say remains open and they  advice me to claim universal credit now they decided to send me those letters can someone advice me what to do I would really appreciate it thanks 
  • poppy123456
    I believe they sent you those letters because you've claimed UC so now your ESA claim has completely stopped and closed down.  Your ESA award has been transferred to UC which is correct and they did that quite fast a lot of people have to wait months sometimes for this to happen.

You just need to check that you're receiving the LCWRA element on your journal.
  • delise1
    Poppy123456 thank you so much really appreciate it because I was so worried and stressed out about these letters.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.