Backpay — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Backpay

faithleap
faithleap Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi Folks i hope all is well.
I've just revived my son's back pay and it's almost ten grand. I was not expecting this but it's very good news obviously. 

My question is since it's over £7000. Will this affect benefits.

I don't think it's should be taken back because at the end of the day we've been living within less than our basic pay but i don't know and I'd hate to be slammed for that with a benefit reduction. My  son was born with disability and I'm recently disabled myself with a nerve and muscle disease. I'm relatively new to this benefit malarkey. 
I've always worked but afm no longer able. 
Ita not a very nice place to be is it folks? Particularly when the government refuse to recognize a life long issue.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Backdated money that's more than £6,000 is disregarded for all means tested benefits for 12 months. May i ask what the backdated money was for?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @faithleap and it's great to hear your son has been awarded his back pay! :)

I'm not sure if you've spotted it but Poppy asked in your other thread "Was the overpayment all for ESA underpayment or was some of it for PIP? If some of it was for ESA then was that amount more than £5,000?"
    In some cases it could be ignored for means tested benefits for longer than 12 months but it depends on what it was for. If you're able to answer, Poppy may be able to better advise. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.