PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP

GemGem40
GemGem40 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited June 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hello there, I was wondering if anyone could help with my situation:

i applied for PIP in November 2018, had my assessment and was denied PIP.

i then asked for a mandatory reconsideration, and this was denied.

so I have gone ahead and lodged an appeal and am awaiting my tribunal date.  In the meantime the DWP called me last week to offer me standard rate daily living component as a one time offer and if I do not accept this then I will find the tribunal process very stressful and that I may lose the case anyway!! I now understand, after contacting the DWP today, that they will be writing to the tribunal to let them know what they had offered me and that I rejected the offer and that in their opinion the tribunal should lapse the appeal and award me nothing.

has anyone else had something similar to this? This is my first time applying for PIP.

any comments welcome x

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @GemGem40

Good Evening & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

Yes we have got many members in similar situations as 
    you.

Here’s some info for you below.

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/41115/pip

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/53240/pip

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/challenging-PIP-or-other-benefits-decisions/

Please please let me know if you need any further help?????

@steve51
  • GemGem40
    Thank u steve51
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @GemGem40

That’s my Pleasure!!!!!

I do hope that the info was helpful for you??

@steve51
  • decyboy
    decyboy Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi everyone I am new to this ? would like to know a bit more about pip benefits,and the rates you get for fibromyalgia please.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @decyboy and welcome

PIP is awarded based on how your condition affects how you manage certain daily activities and or mobility. People with the same conditions are affected differently, so it is not possible to compare two people and not everyone with the same condition will meet the criteria for an award.

Fibro is one of the conditions most claimed for. In the first instance you should take one of the online self tests
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pipquestions2
    Pipquestions2 Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    DWP awarded you no pip at assessment 
    DWP awarded you no pip at mandatory reconsideration 

Now that you've appealed it and going to tribunal, they suddenly pluck an award out their backside? 

To me, that tells me one thing: they know you have a high chance at winning tribunal so are offering you a lower rate ( standard instead of enhanced maybe?) To save money

While it is true you could be awarded nothing, I find it highly unlikely that happens if DWP is offering you standard. They're not going to give you money for the sake of it if they think you don't have a chance at tribunal 

Do the self test and see where you think you should score, if it's enhanced daily living or any mobility parts then go through to tribunal 
  • GemGem40
    Thank u pipquestions2, I think I’m gonna stick with the tribunal too, I’m hoping all my evidence will then be taken seriously and fairly as I feel the DWP have not listened to me at all x
  • Pipquestions2
    Pipquestions2 Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    edited June 2019
    GemGem40 said:
    Thank u pipquestions2, I think I’m gonna stick with the tribunal too, I’m hoping all my evidence will then be taken seriously and fairly as I feel the DWP have not listened to me at all x
    Tribunal will assess you fairly and give you an accurate award

It's hard to say since you haven't said much about how your disability effects you but when do you ever hear about DWP offering enhanced both to not go tribunal? It's in the DWP interest to award you with a lower award, the tribunal is independent and will award you without the money in mind and focus solely on your disability

DWP couldn't be fair to you when you gave them 2 chances before, that's their problem not yours. That's how I would see it anyways

They couldn't even be completely honest with you, they told you that you could be awarded nothing but left out the flip side of the coin - you could also be awarded more. It's just a bullying tactic that nobody should give into
  • GemGem40
    Thank u, I will definitely let it ride to tribunal. The DWP has not recorded anything correctly from my assessment and their response to the MR was just a joke. I have osteoarthritis in my hip and am waiting for a hip replacement and I am Bi Polar and generally struggle with day to day things x
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Welcome to the community @GemGem40
    Best of luck with your PIP tribunal, please let us know how you get on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.