Never had benefits what can I claim — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Never had benefits what can I claim

gillybabe
gillybabe Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I have been awarded enhanced rate for care but no !mobility pip is a joke but that's another story! I have multiple sclerosis butbut still work. My MS as deteriorating and I want to reduce my hours to 21 and keep going as long as possible. My partner works and we have a mortgage. Does anyone know what I can claim as i don't know the benefit system. Someone said I could claim for my new boiler i had the week before my mandatory decision was awarded to me. This was back dates to September 18. Thank you 

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    What benefits do you currently claim? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2019
    Hi,

PIP doesn't automatically qualify you for any benefits. If you're claiming working tax credits and you work then you can claim the disabled element of that, if you're not claiming tax credits then you won't be able to start a new claim because all areas are now a full universal credit area.

Claiming Universal credit will depend on your household income, savings and capital.

Do you have dependent children?

Claiming a free boiler grant because you don't claim any means tested benefits will depend on your household income and whether you claim tax credits.  See link.
    https://www.boilergrants.info/who-qualifies.php

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • gillybabe
    gillybabe Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I don't claim any benefits. I currently work 28 hours but am struggling and keep using my holidays as i don't get paid for first three days. My boiler blew up week before my award. Our income is not to had as my partner works 12 hour days including overtime but he is permanent my tired helping me as well. Thank you for replying
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Maybe speak to your employer about reasonable adjustments. https://www.gov.uk/reasonable-adjustments-for-disabled-workers

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gillybabe and welcome to the community! Here is a link to calculate your benefits which is a 10 minute questionnaire which will be able to tell you what benefits you may be entitled to :) 
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.