medical condition — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

medical condition

ebeneee
ebeneee Community member Posts: 87 Pioneering
Hi everyone,
Its been a while..... 35 weeks waiting on appeal date to come through, Question i would like to ask, last year when i completed review form of P.I.P, i had written i had problems with right hand, ( the palm was bruised to the left side little finger it was swollen  going all the way down to the wrist, i had an appointment with Gp 2x within 6 weeks, who said that because i was using a crutch in my right hand the pressure of holding the crutch has caused all to have swollen, i was given Fenbid cream to use also i take Gabapentin as one of my pain relief 300 mg, I was still feeling pains in my hand and it was now travelling up my right arm, and my little finger and ring finger i was having pins and needles, i couldnt feel them its  a horrible feeling, GP made referral for me to attend City hospital, where i had some test done  Nerve conduction test EMG, lasted 45 minutes after 2 weeks results came back i have Cubital tunnel syndrome,  Refferral made  to Orthapaedics also have diabetes,  suspected frozen shoulder refferral made to see physio therapist @Poppy123456, Mikehughescq,Adrian_Scope, Wilko, Cristobal,  and ilove cats, Question would this be classed as a new diagnosis, even though there was issues from last year may June i wrote how this affects me on a daily basis doing house work, preparing meals, etc any advice would be appreciated Thank you in advance

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

A diagnosis makes no difference to a PIP claim. As long as they knew at the time how your conditions affect you then that's fine.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ebeneee
    Thank you for response  @ Poppy123456
  • mercedesbd
    mercedesbd Community member Posts: 109 Courageous
    HI,

A diagnosis makes no difference to a PIP claim. As long as they knew at the time how your conditions affect you then that's fine.
    But is that entirely true? Because as I said before on my HCP report is says ‘ no cognitive, social, or mental impairment so it’s reasonable to state he can carry this activity out safely and reliably ‘
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2019
    @mercedesbd - it is entirely true.

If you refer back to your other post I don't believe the assessor is saying that you don't have a certain condition (a diagnosis which your doctor has made) but he/she doesn't agree that your condition accounts for you being totally unable to carry out everyday tasks (functionality)

If you do have a medical condition which affects your functionality then it doesn't matter exactly what it is....

As a lot of people advised you should seek advice local to you and ask for MR...

PS I wonder if i could suggest updating your original post rather than this one so that it will make more sense to people reading it?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ebeneee, I don't believe we have met! Hi :)

Like Poppy has said, it will be down to the condition affects you at this moment in time rather than a diagnosis. I wish you the best of luck with the assessment and please do let us know how it goes!
    Scope

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP is about coping managing and your abilities in relation to the PIP descriptors, disability, diagnosis or the medication you take are only a comfirmation of your probable abilities to preform the PIP descriptors. 
  • poppy123456
    HI,

But is that entirely true? Because as I said before on my HCP report is says ‘ no cognitive, social, or mental impairment so it’s reasonable to state he can carry this activity out safely and reliably ‘
    Yes, it's correct.

I believe you were advised a few times to seek face to face advice, have you done this?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • ebeneee
    Hi @Chloe_Scope, Hi@ Wilko,
    Thank you both for your response has been very helpful i appreciate it.
  • mercedesbd
    mercedesbd Community member Posts: 109 Courageous
    HI,

Yes, it's correct.

I believe you were advised a few times to seek face to face advice, have you done this?
    Not yet. I’m ringing CAB tomorrow
  • fatherinpain
    fatherinpain Community member Posts: 177 Courageous
    I disagree @poppy123456 I sustained subdural heamatoma after a vicious random attack and since then I have real difficulty talking to people I know face to face let alone strangers. As for travelling to places I don’t know, which sends me into a world of distress and rapidly increases my chronic daily headaches to painful white vision.pip acknowledges that this has happened to me and as they say I could have these effects from it but without diagnosis they cannot verify it So they couldn’t possibly award points for it. This was stated in my MR and over the phone, then to be told if I didn’t agree then to go to tribunal but risk losing some or all of my pip awards 
  • fatherinpain
    I had multiple scans 12years ago but the problem is the mental  effects left with. As @poppy123456 said earlier in thread it’s not about diagnosis but from threat I received from dwp without it they are not interested 
  • poppy123456
    It isn't about a diagnosis. Lots of people successfully claim PIP, including my daughter (the first time) without any diagnosis.
  • fatherinpain
    But also lots of people don’t without a diagnosis. In hindsight I suspect it’s because of the mobility factor I was deliberate scored 10 points even tho in assessment she said I can’t really walk any distance without being in pain from ra but then put it as 10point answer, also missing out the mental and physical effects of the attack I sustained through having no diagnosis. I have since had it all diagnosed am awaiting tribunal date and fully expect an offer from them a few weeks before the date which seems to be how they operate 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.