Help going from DLA to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help going from DLA to PIP

molly1961
molly1961 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
edited June 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi my name is jayne I've been getting DAL but just received a letter inviting me to claim PIP I had to go to court of appeal for my DAL. Found the assessor very kind but when I got my form back she had awarded me nil points ,is the PIP assessor the same ?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Lots of people successfully claim PIP without any problems. Lots of people also get refused and on an internet forum you'll always see more people with bad experiences because those that do claim successfully have no questions to ask, so we don't hear their stories.

When you ring to start your claim off you can ask for your DLA file to be taken into consideration for the PIP claim.

It's also worth remembering that DLA and PIP are different benefits. PIP is about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors, not about a diagnosis.

When you do receive those forms you should give as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Adding 2-3 real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Do be aware that they very rarely contact anyone for any evidence. The onus is on you to prove you qualify, not theirs.

If you don't have enough time to return those forms you can ring DWP to request an extra 14 days. Providing your forms are returned within this time your DLA will continue until a decision's been made on the PIP.

Expect a face to face assessment because most people have them. It's rare to have a paper based assessment.

Face to face advice may help you to fill out the forms. This link will help you find what's local to you. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Wise words as usual from poppy, please read and take note poppy knows what she's on about. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Welcome to the community @molly1961. :)
    Best of luck with your application for PIP. Please let us know how you get on and if we can help in any way. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Claire14
    Claire14 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I thought I would give you a positive outcome with regards transferring from DLA to PIP. My mum claimed DLA 10 years ago and was refused, we went to tribunal and won and she was given an indefinite award. Back in March we had the dreaded letter that she had to apply for PIP. So I filled all the forms in and sent them back. She had her F2F at the beginning of May and 5 weeks later we received the dreaded brown envelope, she had been awarded enhanced rate on both daily and mobility. I know it’s a daunting experience but if your illnesses cause you problems certainly express this at your F2F. We were open and honest and the gentleman who came to her home was really understanding. I wish you luck and hope all goes well.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Thanks so much for sharing that with us all @Claire14, really glad the transition went well for your mother. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @molly1961 and I hope the transition goes well for you!

Scope

• molly1961
    Hi sorry I've not been on for a while not been to good ,I've just got my assessment date and it is at my home .They say this is very unusual just wondered if any body else had them to your home ?.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Lots of people have home assessments, my daughter did the first time she applied. It doesn't mean anything other than the assessment will be in your home which often makes people feel more comfortable than going to the assessment centre.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • molly1961
    Thankyou for your reply that makes sense. They have said they've spoken to people and it's best they give me a home visit .
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @molly1961, that's not a problem! How are you doing?
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.