Any advice plz? How I've been treated throughout my PIP claim — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any advice plz? How I've been treated throughout my PIP claim

chunky8217
chunky8217 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
edited June 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi well hope you have a little time to see how ive been treated through pip claim..I started in July 2017..i got sent a pip claim pack ..didnt want to do it wrong so i went to welfare rights and someone from there filled out the form for me as I was stressed just looking at it .I suffer with peritual vascular disease in my left leg and get claudication after walking a very small distance on a basic street I cud probably walk past 3 houses and I have to stop as the pain is unreal.I also suffer panic attacks and depression from 1996 when my mum passed away..a week before my wedding too ..i waited for quite a while for pip to get bk to me on my claim and said i would have to go to an assesment. Which I did state I can't use public transport ..and don't go out alone ..i live in derby..they sent my first appointment for Birmingham..i rang them and told me there is no way I could go Birmingham as i suffer incontinence too and wet myself on most days..they said that was fine and they will send me a letter.A few weeks later I got another appointment through this time for Nottingham ..i was so annoyed and rang them again ..the woman on phone stated im eligible for a home visit so they booked me one in we waiting from 8 in more till 6 at night for him and he didn't turn up.He later said he had got poorly and he rang me BUT HE NEVER!!!!..so again I ring pip back up and they said because i had not attended any appointments that my claim had been cancelled..i rang them bk and they said if i got a report of my doctor that I could not travel that far to them places then i will be reinstated..so I complied and sent the relevant letter from docs.Then weeks down the line they sent me a letter stating I had an appointment for the tuesday by this time we are in February 2018.I said ok as this appointment was for derby and I'd be ok with my daughter and a taxi door to door.so I went to the assesment along with my daughter I got out the taxi and went into some lift holding all the time on my daughters arm for stability.I was wearing Holed tracksuit bottoms and slippers and a jumper she says i was in suitable clothing ..i wear these clothes every day ..the assessor also claims I went in accompanied ..was my daughter a ghost then?..oh and I walked in unaided I held my daughters arm it was like she blatantly lied ..she says i squatted down and got back up ..another complete lie and when I rose from the chair I didn't have support I used the table to rise ..so u can imagine im furious well ..next thing was to get an ap report and go thru it and to write down all the things that were wrong..i got a decision back in March saying I got no points for anything ..i waited another 4 weeks for them to send me the wrong letter out they sent me a tribunal letter before I'd had a mandatory consideration..i was raging and upset a was stressing and got in touch with welfare rights he said to take the form straight down I couldn't personally so my son in law took it to welfare rights he couldn't understand why they had sent me a tribunal letter before the mandatory and for me to ring them and ask whats going on ..so I did and spoke to pip again asking why and they said there was a mistake and they apologise etc a put in a complaint by this time and 5 days later a case manager rang me apologising to me ..so I then said so what happens next she then told me they had done the consideration and decided again no points at all ..now I the other day I got all my tribunal pack and I read it along with my daughter ..now I have been given someone else's medical notes along with there bus number and that I av an illness after an accident I had in 2016 **** are they on with it also states ive had therapy and am currently on gabubantin and codiene ..they have really messed up and a feel I can't go on much longer ...im even questioning now if there turning me down because they owe me alot of back pay from July 17 to present my current situation today is im waiting for tribunal date probably another 8 weeks down the line ..ill let u know the outcome ..please comment and does anyone think I've been well treated badly x

Comments

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2018
    I suffer with peritual vascular disease in my left leg and get claudication after walking a very small distance on a basic street I cud probably walk past 3 houses and I have to stop as the pain is unreal.
    I too have PAD in my left leg (my right one was operated on a few years back for the same reason) as well as claudication.

Yes it is painful, but only when you walk due to the restricted blood supply.
    You mention that you can walk past 3 houses before you have to stop. There is no point in telling the DWP or anyone else that as houses differ in width, there may be driveways or paths etc. To approximate what 20 metres look like - it is the length of two double decker buses parked one behind the other.

I would also point out that if you can walk without any difficulty that distance, then you would not get the 12 points for mobility. It has to be up to and under 20 metres before you need to stop.

Have you tried to measure the distance before you stop? You can check the distance on the web using google. You should also time yourself when walking that distance.

To be honest for me walking on flat ground the PAD takes a while to set in before I would have to stop Unfortunately I also have lower spinal injuries that makes any movement difficult so in my case there was no reason for me to mention the PAD on my PP claim form, relying only on the other injuries which are more serious.
  • northwestmum2
    northwestmum2 Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    They did same thing to my son (hes got cerabral palsy& OCD)hes never had a penny from any DLA as when he was younger(hes now 19)id spent a very long time teaching him to feed himself-and dress a bit with a lot of help,but they turned him down flat- so when he turned 16& a half i helped him apply for PIP(with me doing the form & him signing it)the assessmant was a joke! I went with him,told lady he doesnt talk to strangers- she tersely said if he didnt she couldnt do it then&his claim would be cancelled.so he did his best.told her bits.i even filled in the gaps so she had a clearer picture.also i asked if she needed to see or examine his leg/foot as hes affected in walking too.she said no.when we left he was in tears and wanted to go straight home.it made him more anxious&his OCD got worse after that.letter came- NO points at all!! Thought it seemed odd how he scored NOTHING-not even a couple of points here or there??she also had lied about the answers we'd given.i was furious theyd put him through this for nothing! We appealed and it took him over 14 mths to get it but he won on appeal.but what they dont tell you is that DWP then still have a right to still object to the appeal descision!! So theres another 2mths wait to see if you still get money appeal said youre entitled to.My son was in bits over all this for over a year&a half when he shouldnt have had to.Luckily they didnt object and they owed him a lot of back pay.and when he had to do reassessment (they do it a yr early to try save them a years  money) he got a nice lady who knew more about his condition i think.she gave him a higher daily living& standard mobility.
  • northwestmum2
    northwestmum2 Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    I did appeal for my youngest son also- DLA- and hes got lots of medical problems-and also hes now  diagnosed with cerebral palsy in exactly same way as his brothers but they turned him down twice just to save the DWP money im guessing! They seemed more concerned with quizzing me about a holiday we'd been on last year as though people with disabilities should not expect to go on hoilday!! They seemed to be reading it off a sheet too- as if theyd had access to either my bank or email details???Theres something very shifty and unlawful about the whole DWP thing if you ask me.I hope you are successful this time chunky 8217- as my elder son was.But at end of day its supposed to be a payment to help you be more independant-the clues in the name- so why should folk have to fight for it if its to help them???
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @chunky8217, and thank you for sharing this with us. I'm so sorry to hear about your experience and the stress it's caused, and it's particularly appalling that you were given somebody else's information. Please do keep updated, and, if you feel up to it, you may also want to consider making a complaint. You can find the DWP complaints procedure here.
  • chunky8217
    Im so glad there are people out there that can relate to my problems and yes i am making a big complaint..no one can wait as much as this its ridiculous ..they also said i went to the assesment on my own and was well dressed..my daughter sat there with me thru the whole interview..i also wore my joggers i wear every day and for bed as i cant dress myself even my 8 yr old daughter has to fetch me pants and bottoms from my cupboard and she runs as fast as lighting cus mums wet her self again (i have incontinence too) oh yh and on toilet needs a can do it all myself ..she was wrong again i do have to have help ask my daughter she will tell you i have to wiggle to go to the toilet where its come like i had been bursting for hours its so daunting as she does the moves and we have a giggle bless her ..they also say i can get out the bath and have no problem with washing ...for a start a dont have a bath and we have an adapted wash room with fitted beedae as i cant wipe myself manually ..why do they put sooo many lies its really unreal thanks for your support ots really helping me x
  • chunky8217
    Hey just to let u all know im at my tribunal in a few hours am absolutely dreading it ..im so anxious and cant sleep a feel dreadful in myself a will let u all know the outcome...wish me luck...it took me from july 2017 to get to where i am now i waited 57 weeks for tribunal and dooms day has arrived xx
  • zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    good luck, the long wait will be soon over and hope you get what you need in the end, your in the same boat as many many others in a failing system that's no longer fit for purpose 
  • chunky8217
    Ty well i will let u all know when im back xim absolutely bricking it 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,340 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Everyone feels exactly like you do when they have their Tribunal hearing, that's perfectly normal. Most Tribunal panels are very understanding and they are totally independent to DWP and the health assessment providers.

They don't always make a decision on the day so if this happens try not to worry, it doesn't mean you haven't been successful. It happens to a lot of people and they have a decision in their favour. They will write to you within a couple of days.

Good luck and do let us know the outcome.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @chunky8217. Best of luck today, let us know how you get on. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • chunky8217
    Hi all well the tribunal was soo daunting ..to me they was trying to ask me how i felt when i put in my claim that was 2017 i dont remember what i did last week..i suffer incontinence and had to go toilet half way through i didnt get a decision today but should in a couple of days ...i just told the truth on every question ...so who knows ..the dwp didnt turn up either does anyone know what my chances are im in termoil now waiting for that dreaded brown envelope ...if i dont get it this time i dont think i cud go through the whole process again i was shaking from head to toe when i went in i even said to my welfare advisor that a didnt feel well but think i had a major panic attack ...well in a few days i will let u know when i get the dreaded envelope xx
  • poppy123456
    No one can tell you whether you'll be successful or not i'm afraid. Hopefully the decision letter won't take long to arrive, they are usually sent within a couple of days. Fingers crossed for you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • chunky8217
    Well guys had my letter today so fast for saying i only had tribunal yesterday ...i got 0 points for daily living and standard for mobility they will backdate me for 2 years so yes i am pleased my welfare rights officer wants me to fight it ..i just have the strength to bother ..im happy i got something out of the herendous wait and the tribunal just got wait for dwp to update my claim now x
  • poppy123456
    As long as you're happy then that's good. Of course if you do decide anything different you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the statement of reasons and record of proceedings. Once you receive this you need to find an error in law before you can take it any further.

It can take 8 weeks to receive backdated money.
  • BatManyippeee123
    BatManyippeee123 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi out there I’m first timer iv  being diagnosed vascular disease my legs are in so much pain I’ve had diabetic also removed from under my feet I’ve had three stents put in my left  i’m getting finished off from work soon but over the years of depression has hit me so hard At one time I was a very fit man  no I need a walking stick to get about every 20 seconds I have to stop with the cramps in my leg I’ve been told I might be entitled to PIP  some weeks ago I was on the jumping off point  is anyone out there to give me advice be so grateful  regards Ronnie  ??
  • chunky8217
    Batman ..hang in there mines been going on from july 17 and its been a real long haul i went to tribunal on wed just gone they gave me nothing for daily living just standard mobility my welfare right officer told me to fight it but i dont want to go thru the tribunal ever again they humiiated me i felt soo small but at the end of the day i won and am now waiting on roughly 2 n half grand from backdation hope this helps i also have vascular disease with claudication too x
  • dynasty30
    dynasty30 Community member Posts: 88 Courageous
    So glad I’ve found this post I too have peripheral vascular disease in my legs,can’t walk more than 45 seconds before I’m limping in pain roughly around 15 meters on a good day it’s the absolute worst.
    i applied for pip on the 14th January have my telephone assessment on 11th of May stressed out but I’m hoping I can convey how bad this disease really is x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    dynasty30 said:
    So glad I’ve found this post I too have peripheral vascular disease in my legs,can’t walk more than 45 seconds before I’m limping in pain roughly around 15 meters on a good day it’s the absolute worst.
    i applied for pip on the 14th January have my telephone assessment on 11th of May stressed out but I’m hoping I can convey how bad this disease really is x
    @dynasty30! Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• dynasty30
    dynasty30 Community member Posts: 88 Courageous

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.