ESA and new claimants — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and new claimants

te1
te1 Community member Posts: 94 Courageous
Hi 
I need some advice regarding making a new claim for Esa. I have been unable to work for nearly 6 months now due to many medical problems ie spinal stenosis depression fibromyalgia to name a few and have been in receipt of ssp and recently awarded standard pip for the care component. Does ESA still exist for new claims or is it now universal credit for everyone. I obviously have a limited cabability for work as well. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,340 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You have posted on the wrong part of the forum as this is for DLA/PIP.

New claims for Income Related ESA are not possible because all areas are now a full Universal Credit area. New style ESA has replaced the old Contributions based ESA but claiming is will depend on your NI Contributions in the previous 2 tax years. The years they look at are March 2016 to April 2018. You can check your NI contributions online at gov.uk. To claim it see this link. https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-claim-esa

You'll need a fit note from your GP and your SSP1 form from your employer to be able to claim this. A fit note from your GP or your PIP award doesn't automatically entitle you to ESA and you will eventually need a work capability assessment to determine your fitness to work, from this they will decide if you have limited capability for work. It's also only paid for 1 year unless you're placed into the Support Group.

If you haven't paid enough NI contributions in those years then UC maybe possible but this will depend on savings/capital and household income because it's a means tested benefit.

If you need to claim for help with your rent then you'll need to claim UC for this because new claims for housing benefit are no longer possible. If you claim New style ESA and UC then your ESA will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC payments.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @te1, I've moved this over to the ESA section of the community. 

I hope Poppy's response has answered all of your queries but if there's anything else you'd like to know, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.