My biggest anxiety is losing my PIP/ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My biggest anxiety is losing my PIP/ESA?

greatsay
greatsay Community member Posts: 17 Connected
I have a Mild Learning disability and Schizoaffective Disorder. I live in 24/7 staffed supported housing and receive 21 hours one-to-one support per week but we always have staff here. My biggest anxiety is losing my benefits. Its been 2 years since I last got sectioned (that was from severe self-harm from psychosis) I got put straight into the support group last year on that alone but I feel that if I get called to another ESA assessment the evidence will be out of date and they won't accept it. I'm on a CPA pathway, also on a depot plus have a social services appointee. Also attend a NHS (LD) day centre.

Do you think living in supported housing will have any barring on my ESA/PIP assessment. I do have a good team manager. Do you think that evidence of being sectioned 11 times since 2010 will also have any barring. I have lots of emotional support from my care team, they look for signs of becoming unwell such as a pre-occupation with microchips and secret folders and conspiracies.  I have so much anxiety about many things. My psychiatrist says I have catastrophic thinking. I'm so worried about not having benefits and being homeless. 

Do you think with the support I get I will be okay? thank you

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @greatsay, thank you for sharing this with us. It sounds as though you're feeling really anxious at the moment- have you let those around you know how you feel?

It's really difficult to predict what support somebody will/will not be entitled to, however perhaps some of our community members will be able to offer reassurance. I hope today is as kind as possible to you!
  • Laura99
    Laura99 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    Hello there.

You do sound very anxious. It sounds like your psychiatrist is right - you do seem to worry about benefits and housing and so on. I would imagine that that is part of your illness.

Your history as described suggests that your benefits are safe. Certainly, someone in your situation will get ESA (support group) and PIP.

Do please go and confide in one of the workers where you live. 
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    @Laura99 Wow, you're very trusting.
  • greatsay
    I have confined in both my LD community nurse (which is equivalent to a CPN) and my supported living manager, they both say I haven't got anything to worry about with regards to benefits. They say I have many years off evidence. My community nurse wrote me a really good letter to take to my last ESA medical (Nov 2017) outlining serious self harm when I was psychotic in 2016 and after attending the meeting for 15 minutes got me put into the support group for another 3 years. My community nurse is going to be giving me CBT therapy to deal with my anxiety and catastrophic thinking which is becoming worse.
  • Laura99
    Laura99 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    I believe that you are worrying as a result of your severe mental illness. I am glad that your nurse is helping you.

Hopefully the CBT will help the catastrophic thinking.
  • greatsay
    I can say I have successful in claiming PIP without face-to-face.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    That's good news @greatsay. Thanks for getting in touch to let us know. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for updating us @greatsay! That's great news :)
    Scope

Brightness