Public toiletts — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Public toiletts

freeflow
freeflow Community member Posts: 11 Connected
Hi
Does anybody know how to try to get a law passed to force councils to keep toilets open, so they cannot close them, as it poses a health risk to find human waste around the countryside?

Comments

• Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    Hi @freeflow, I don't know how any Council can be 'forced' to do anything, though I agree that Public Toilets should be increased and maintained throughout UK. There are far too many which have been closed. My guess is that a signed petition to the appropriate MP would be the best move forward, or perhaps write to your own local MP.  
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    One of our local council toilets was closing and someone decided to start a petition and approach the councillors in our town . Telling them that the local elections was due soon and the locals were not happy with closing the only public toilets in the town ( apart from one of those tardis toilets on the other side of town . ) ....with such a petition they changed their mind sharpish. 
    Get a petition going freeflow... if you feel strongly enough about it .Of course you would have to be able to do all the organising etc. that a petition needs .
    Good luck.
  • Roddy
    Public Toilets are often in a dire and disgusting state and many of them are not maintained properly or appropriately. Only this past weekend I attended the Lowestoft Festival where there was thousands of people many of whom were searching for toilets as there was by no means enough of them to serve the numbers. There were a handful of those portable loos and that's about it, and we all know how disgusting they can be. Some people leave them in a terrible state, and the same thing happens in Public Toilets if/when they are not being serviced. Servicing them costs money and most Councils care not to pay out for these services even though they are needed. 
  • maggieomx
    maggieomx Community member Posts: 131 Courageous
    I have a radar key which lets you use locked disabled toilets anytime ,
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I hate public toilets. I rarely use them. I don't know why the councils are so odd about paying for them but there is no point in suffering quietly. I’d suggest contacting your local council to complain and then start a petition to raise awareness too. Perhaps you could also try writing a article for a newspaper on this issue? Try to sell it as a human interest story. That will definitely grab their attention. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    If you have a condition that means you need to use a toilet urgently you can obtain a " Just can't wait " card which is recognised in many shops and cafes which will give you access to the nearest toilet
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Roddy
    @CockneyRebel, Cheers for this advice, but how/where can I obtain such a card please? 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Bladder and Bowel Community

www.bladderandbowel.org

or 08000315406
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Roddy
    Bladder and Bowel Community

www.bladderandbowel.org

or 08000315406
    Thank You very much. Very helpful.