Hi — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi

Theinternet
Theinternet Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Just thougth I'd say hi. I have a recent diagnosis of autism but unfortunately have been put through psychiatric services since 2003. I had various diagnoses related to this but unfortuantely the autism hasn't been picked up until now. Sadly I am now dependent upon several drugs, an antipsychotic and an anticonvulsant. 

My memory isn't what it used to be, partly because of these drugs but also because of how poor my sleep has been over these years. I'm determiend though to make good of this whole experience, it happened or a reason I guess, maybe it'll lead me down a path to help others in the end. 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Theinternet and welcome to the community! I'm sorry you had to wait so long. I too find that a lack of sleep impacts my memory, it's very annoying isn't it?

If you need anything at all then please do let me know :)
    Scope

• Theinternet
    Theinternet Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    edited June 2019
    Hi @Theinternet and welcome to the community! I'm sorry you had to wait so long. I too find that a lack of sleep impacts my memory, it's very annoying isn't it?

If you need anything at all then please do let me know :)
    It's very hard to describe how bad my sleep problems have been but they are very severe, so much so my body has probably aged about 10 years because of it. 

I literally am unable to sleep properly at all these days. I exist in a sleep deprived state on a daily basis, this is partly because of the tablets I take ,they kind of lock me into this. Sometimes I experience seizure like episodes, think of it like a spring being coiled up and releasing the tension. I don't however have epilepsy as this has been investigated. I could describe in detail the physical sensation of being sleep deprived like this for so long but the problem is when I have done this in the past, doctors have had a tendency to regard it as delusional, make believe etc. It's very frustrating but the autism diagnosis goes to show that it's quite questionable just how much these problems relate to my mental health.

I dont mean to come across as a little hysterical, I certainly don't want to waste doctors' time. I could mention where this is ultimately leading but the memory problems are a little disturbing, it wouldn't be so far fetched to suggest this could lead to dementia, but again, don't mention that to doctors as they won't take you seriously. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Theinternet, that must be pretty scary at times! I'm sorry you are unable to sleep.

Have you been able to access support since your diagnosis?

I can understand your frustrations, especially as it took them a while. If there is anything I can do to help then please do let me know :)
    Scope

• brydiedwards
    brydiedwards Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    Hi @Theinternet , welcome! I'm sorry you've had to go through much to get to this diagnosis, your attitude is amazing though, what a great outlook to have. Sounds as if that all must get overwhelming at times, so please let us know if there's any specific support you need :) 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Theinternet and welcome to the Community.  Sorry to hear you have been through so much.  It is nice to meet you.  Please let us know if we can be of any help to you.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Theinternet. How are you?
    Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help, but in the meantime ⁠— you're very welcome to our community!
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness