Carers allowance to be stopped- please help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance to be stopped- please help

Cherry1204
Cherry1204 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hi , 

im the mum of 8 year old girl hemi right side and hyper mobile left side . I’ve always had carers allowance for her but now this week have received a compliance letter saying I have to answer my phone when they call else my benefits will be stopped. When I phoned and asked why the compliance I thought it was to do with my Esa but she said it’s my carers allowance . I really don’t understand as my daughter receives middle rate care element. Any advise would be great as my anxiety is through the roof right now 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Cherry1204 and a warm welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear this is making you so anxious and I hope we can help resolve it for you soon. 

When looking at other threads, like this one, this is a normal process for them to do at random. It should be fairly relaxed and you will just have to explain your situation. I hope that helps :)
    Scope

• Cherry1204
    So it’s nothing to worry over then? I’ve hardly slept since Monday. Just don’t understand why they are doing it ! She is in receipt of mr care and has been since 1 year old . I’ve recently had csc Ot in and they have delivered equipment for helping her get out the bath on her own . And her normal Ot wrote to the school and asked them to put in certain measures to make her school day easier . I’m literally exhausted with worry. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Do you work and claim carers allowance?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cherry1204
    No I’m on Esa due to depression and severe anxiety
  • poppy123456
    Then i could only guess what it could be about. It could just be a simple random check.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Chloe_Scope
    I think it is just a random check and it shouldn't take long at all :) I hope it goes well!
    Scope

• Cherry1204
    Thank you Chloe x
  • Chloe_Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Cherry1204, have you had your phone call yet? When was it scheduled for?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Cherry1204
    No it’s for July 10 which is still some way away :( my anxiety is through the roof I’m constantly feeling sick 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hopefully the next week will fly by and it'll be over and done with. Please keep us updated with how you get on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Cherry1204
    I phoned actual carers allowance yesterday to get some understanding as to why, they said it’s one of three things, I’m either working, studying or not caring for the child enough hours. I told her that none of those apply to me so they are just as bamboozled by it . I’m wondering whether it’s because it’s my daughter I care for ???? Maybe I dunno 
  • poppy123456
    Not caring for your daughter for enough of hours is ridiculous. We care for our children 24 hours a day and some children need more care than others.

It's definitely not because you're claiming carers allowance for your daughter. People do this all the time, myself included.

It could be just a random check, which happens sometimes. Someone could have also reported you for something, you do get some very nasty people sometimes.

I know it's easy for me to say but if you haven't done anything wrong then you don't have anything to worry about. Just go to the appointment, be honest and answer the questions. In the meantime try to focus on something else. Hard i know but there's nothing else you can do. Good luck and please come back and let us know.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Cherry1204

As others have said, it is nothing to worry about.

You are to receive a call from a Customer Service Compliance Officer, this is a random act, to ensure the DWP are complying with their rules.

If the DWP had any concerns about your claims, you would have been invited for an “Interview under caution” by a fraud investigator, at your local job centre.

If you wish, you could seek welfare rights advice, say from your local CAB.

Please keep us informed.

Best wishes.
  • Cherry1204
    Hi all, 

so update is that there was an allegation made against me that apparently I wasn’t giving my child the level of care required for me to claim carers allowance . Absolutely ridiculous tbh . It was founded to be malicious and no further action is being taken x
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hello @Cherry1204
    There are certainly some spiteful people out there! I'm glad they saw through the malicious allegation and no further action is being taken. 
    I hope you're alright, that must have been quite a shock. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    Wow that's absolutely ridiculous!! To claim carers allowance it's a minimum 35 hours of care a week. When a child has a disability the amount of care given a week is insane. I'd love to know the person that reported you for this. They most likely either don't have children theirself or they did it through spite!!

I'm very happy to hear that it's all been dealt with and no further action will be taken.
  • Cherry1204
    Yeah I was absolutely fuming tbh! How dare someone make out I don’t provide care for my daughter ! I even said that to the lady that phoned ! She knew instantly from my voice that it wasn’t true. The trouble is where I live people love reporting others to dwp and social services which is absolutely so childish and annoying at the same time. 

Thank you you all for your words x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Cherry1204.

I hope you are doing okay, That cannot have been easy to hear! I'm so glad they were able to sort it and that they won't be taking it any further. 
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.