Do you feel alone and feel others don't understand your anxiety — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you feel alone and feel others don't understand your anxiety

Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
edited June 2019 in Coffee lounge
Sorry about the error above 

Do you feel alone and feel others don't understand your anxiety 11 votes

Yes
63%
susan48AlisonNetty[Deleted User][Deleted User]dolfrogGettinOldemylittleadults 7 votes
No
0%
Sometimes
36%
WaylayAmi2301debbiedo49Ails 4 votes

Comments

• Tammyjane33
    I'm glad you find the site useful. Having anxiety can be very difficult. I'm here if you ever need a chat. 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Sometimes
    Thank you @Tammyjane33.  I appreciate that and likewise.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Sometimes
    I was trying to explain to my therapist today how I manage my anxiety in blocks of time when I'm outside of the home. It started as 15 minutes then got up to 2 hours broken down into steps. It's exhausting to do and explain lol. I don't want to time manage my life around my anxiety but it works for now. She seemed to understand until she said "everyone has anxiety. We need the fight or flight response to stay out of danger."    sigh........ 
  • GettinOlde
    GettinOlde Community member Posts: 495 Pioneering
    edited June 2019
    Yes
    I suffer social anxiety and shun engagement with others. One-on-one I can cope with and It's a whole different ball game being able to socialize anonymously.
    Humour is a way of masking my stress and stress can make me confrontational and irrational.
    Resident joker - not to be taken too seriously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for bringing up this topic @Tammyjane33 :)

If anyone needs support regarding anxiety you will be listened to on the community.  <3
    Scope

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Sometimes
    @GettinOlde I use humour to mask all kinds of unpleasant feelings. My therapist, annoyingly, has begun to notice. ;)

Over the past year and a half, I've spent 95% of my time in my room (I live with 5 other people in a shared house). I see my partners and one friend, sometimes. I've been out late at night to grab food from the corner shop, to taxi to therapy (although I often can't deal and we Skype instead), or with the above-mentioned people (with enormous anxiety). Last week I went to a friend's house! Only a few people I knew well there, and I had to hide in the bathroom multiple times to calm down, but it was really cool! One person said that they'd assumed I'd moved away because they hadn't seen me for so long...

Anxiety (and depression and mobility problems) is ****.  :|
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Yes
    All of the time.

I have a communication disability that most so called support professionals choose to ignore, all part of their ignorance and professional negligence (Audiologists, Speech and Language, and Psychologists)
    Their medical negligence is the underlying cause of my high blood pressure issues, and the high levels of stress and anxiety all of my family experience. it is not much fun having to educate these frauds. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Waylay, That's great about going to a friends house last week, and I'd so glad you had a great time! 

Thank you for this @dolfrog, being misunderstood is awful and I'm sorry it has led to underlying problems. You're doing a great job at raising awareness!
    Scope

• Tammyjane33
    @Hart86 hi and welcome to this discussion. Sorry I haven't been around much as I've been unwell physically. I don't  want you to feel as if I'm ignoring your reply because I'm certainly not. I read your post above about the dog I can see your point. I believe pets can become stressed but I've never heard of anxiety. 
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Yes
    Hi @Chloe_Scope
    My be I should explain that I have the temporal type of Auditory Processing Disorder, a listening disability, more specifically problems processing the gaps between sounds which can include the gaps between words. 
    This type of Auditory Processing Disorder is also the main underlying cognitive cause of Developmental Dyslexia.
    On a bad day I can have problems following conversations, understanding what others are saying and also word recall problems not being able to find the words I need to use when expressing my self to others. Other related issues include having a poor auditory memory, and poor sequencing skills. 
    The anxiety is caused by the so called medical professionals who should understand and explain these issues to others just fail to do so, and as areult there is only unintentional disability discrimination from the population at large. 
    In recent times I have become almost completely house bound in order to avoid the stress and anxiety of meeting others who have little or no understanding of my communication disability. 
    I was the first adult in the UK to be diagnosed as having auditory processing disorder back in 2003, which was partially done so that I could set up and run a UK support organisation to help those diagnosed as having auditory processing disorders when the Medical  Research Council ran a 5 year Auditory Processing Disorder research program 2004-2009. Since then all of my family 3 sons, and my wife, also have a clinical diagnosis of having an auditory processing disorder. Which just adds to my stress and anxiety as I feel I have failed to get the support and understanding they need.
  • Tammyjane33
    @debbiedo49 I totally understand what you mean and the technique you are using to manage your anxiety is brillant. If it works for you then continue to do what your doing. You have a very good insight on coping mechanisms too. You should be proud of yourself! 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    People dont understand my fear of many things.....mobility related, as I have none.
    I prefer to go down a ramp backwards....others cannot get this...but they dont have my useless body!
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Sometimes
    I too prefer going down a ramp backwards both in my wheelchair and mobility scooter as I feel it is safer, so can totally relate to your fear @pollyanna1052.  So don't feel alone in this.  x  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness