Should I start a claim for PIP now? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I start a claim for PIP now?

GettinOlde
GettinOlde Community member Posts: 495 Pioneering
edited June 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have never claimed PIP as I always thought it was for the severely disabled, but have recently been informed by CAB that I should have claimed it years ago and have probably lost about £15k plus for not doing so.
Because I was found fit for work after my last ESA WCA, which came as a surprise as my condition has only worsened since a previous assessment, I had to claim UC as I had no other means of financial support. and I immediately went to CAB to start an MR which apparently I shouldn't have done because a second WCA has been triggered due to the Fit Notes I've been submitting to my work coach.
So, I have two WCAs being processed, one that is a waste of time and one that I'm waiting for the result of the questionnaire.
Should I start a claim for PIP now? The whole process is soul destroying and I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, although it is looking inviting to test the depth of the shadows.
Resident joker - not to be taken too seriously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, anybody can apply for pip as long as they meet the criteria of the pip descriptors. You can do a self test on the Benefits and Works site and get details of claiming pip and the descriptors by visiting the Government site reference pip. When and if you do a self test be honest with yourself as the answers you submitted with your application form will have to be justified at your assessment. When send any medical evidence, reports or letters make a copy to cover your self it the originals get lost or mislaid and  you will have them copies for future claiming of other benefits if needed or required.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2019
    No body on an internet forum can tell you whether to claim PIP as we don't know how your condition affects you.
    If you have difficulty with daily living and or mobility, as has been suggested take the self test. PIP is awarded not on condition, diagnosis or illness but on how your functionality is affected  
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • GettinOlde
    Email result of self test.

DAILY LIVING COMPONENT
    You assessed yourself as scoring the following points for the daily living component of PIP:

1 b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 2 points

3 b. (i) to use an aid or appliance to  be able to manage medication; or (ii) supervision, prompting or assistance to be able to manage medication or monitor a health condition. 1 point

4 b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to wash or bathe. 2 points

5 b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to manage toilet needs or incontinence. 2 points

9 c. Needs social support to be able to engage with other people. 4 points

10 b. Needs prompting or assistance to be able to make complex budgeting decisions. 2 points

Total points: 13

To be eligible for the daily living component of PIP you need to score:
    8-11 points to be awarded the standard rate; or
    12 points or more to be awarded the higher rate.

You assessed yourself as being eligible for the ENHANCED RATE of the daily living component of PIP

MOBILITY COMPONENT.
    You assessed yourself as scoring the following points for the mobility component of PIP:
    11 b. Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 4 points

12 b. Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 4 points

Total points: 8

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The PIP self test is very misleading, especially for those who don't fully understand what the descriptors mean and the criteria that's involved. This link will give you more of an understanding of all of that, despite that fact it's a long read but well worth taking some of your time to sit and read through some of it.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • GettinOlde
    @poppy123456 Thanks, but that is a ridiculously long document to scroll through - makes my head spin.

These PDFs are a lot better, especially as they are indexed.

PIP assessment guide part 1: the assessment process

PIP assessment guide part 2: the assessment criteria

• poppy123456
    No problem. Those links are the same as the link i posted except my link you have to click on the different sections.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    If you do decide to apply when you fill out the form make sure you put as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Adding a few real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Sending relevant evidence to support your claim with the form because they rarely contact anyone for this.

The only person that knows how your conditions affect you is yourself.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I got help from welfare rights to complete pip forms and they went with me to the assessment etc. I was lucky not all do that. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    My son’s social worker helped me with the forms. I provided a number of examples to justify applying. Make sure to provide additional evidence with your application form. I attached photocopies of his letters and other paperwork to support my claim. I mailed them in a envelope as a sheaf with a paper clip. Use additional boxes to supply further information. 
  • GettinOlde
    Hart86 said:
    I can’t advise with PIP as it’s not really my area of expertise but if you think you meet the descriptors you may as well!! Get advice when filling in the forms though and supply as much evidence as you can. 

As for universal credit/ESA when did you submit the MR for ESA and when did you return the uc50?
    The first MR appeal has is already going to tribunal.
    The UC50 that I had to return because I immediatley started providing Fit Notes from the start of my UC claim, was delivered on the due date by hand, because I lost the return envelope, on 17/6/19.
  • GettinOlde
    So, could I use the copy I made of my latest UC50 as a guide to how I should answer an application for PIP Plus any other evidence?

• poppy123456
  • GettinOlde
    @Pippa_Scope I know they are different, but you are saying there is no information that I provided when filling in my last UC50, of which I made a copy, that I can apply to a claim for PIP?
  • poppy123456
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Hart86, was this the thread you were referencing? https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/56365/pip-form-filling
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.