Advance payment for disability car — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advance payment for disability car

lesleymorgs1966
lesleymorgs1966 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited July 2019 in Transport and travel
Hi I’m new here wanting bit advise atm I have manual car with car disability people because medical reasons no been able use my left arm I now have too get automatic but the advance payments really high I’ve test drive bmw and q2 as need also because arthritis does any one no what they give u in advance payment I’ve no means tested and gave proof benefits but just wondering if any one out there’s in same boat as me as it been six weeks not heard from them 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lesleymorgs1966 and welcome to the community! Unfortunately I am unsure about this one, but I hope others in the community will be able to help soon. If not I will have a look for you :)
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2019
    Hi,

I drive a motability car which is automatic and yes they are more expensive that the manuals. The cars you have mentioned here have higher advance payments, especially the Audi. I'm assuming that it's the SUV type car you're looking for because of the higher ride height?

As there are automatic cars available with much cheaper advance payments and even some with nil advance payments then it's possible that motability will not fund the money for the car of your choice. They may speak to you to see if there's another car that is suitable for your needs at much less cost.

Here's a few examples of cars available with a higher ride height from nil up to £199. Suzuki Vitara, Vauxhall Crossland X, Mazda CX3 and Vauxhall Mokka. It maybe a case of having to be a little more flexible in your choice of car.

When i had my first motability car almost 3 years ago, like yourself i needed an automatic but the cost of some of them for me at the time was just far too much. I did find a few that were within my price range so i test drove then and then decided to order myself the Suzuki Vitara, lovely to drive, easy to get in and out because the ride height is higher too.

To answer your question when you apply for help with the advance payment they usually contact you about 48 hours later to talk to you about the next steps. You're then given a case manager who will explore all possible options with you before making a decision. If you haven't heard anything then you'll need to ring them. https://www.motability.org.uk/grants/how-to-apply-for-a-charitable-grant/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lesleymorgs1966
    Thankyou so much just really worried just need some thing easy just in out off I got Renault kadger atm on manual with them but can’t drive it told them I need some thing same speck that as it so comfortable aswell with arthritis getting worse  and my anxiety waiting five weeks I’m so edge just hope it good outcomes .
  • poppy123456
    The problem is with the spec of a car that's really classed a luxury rather than need. I really do advise you to at least have a test drive of some cars that have less advance payment, you may just surprise yourself.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • lesleymorgs1966
    Yes understand that but I need comfortable in it otherwise it waste time and money if not going happy I’m not wanting high spec but something I’m happy driving  I’ve waited so long now worried what outcome  going be 
  • poppy123456
    The cars with lower advanced payment are very comfortable too. You'll need to ring them to chase it up because they should have contacted you 48 hours after you applied for the grant.
  • lesleymorgs1966
    This very weird but been excepted now advance payment 850 the bmw tower is on there 850 advance butgoing take 12 weeks much like most other but bmw rang me today said they got ex display bmwx1 850 which I can have straight away on aut don’t have wait either will they except that or not poppy
  • poppy123456
    edited June 2019
    I'm sorry but i don't understand your question. Has the grant for your advance payment been agreed? and does it cover the £850 for the BMW?

Are you sure it's the BMW X1? Motability don't offer this one. The only BWM cars available with motability are the 2 series, X2 and the i3.
  • marcbucks
    marcbucks Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I must admit, I've rarely heard of people getting a payment towards the advance payment on a mot ability car, the only times I have are for WAVwith the 5 year lease, and profoundly disabled, and usually it is via a charity support group. I've been on motability for about 17 years and generally a automatic gearbox you add £1000 to most cars.
    There are many Ford, Vauxhall, Kia, Skoda etc with very comfortable models and luxury seats. With higher door frames and drivers seats that can be raised, lumber adjustment. Also the 3rd party company that install features such as hand acceleration and brake can supply raised supports for your chair.
    I have just scanned through motability Web site and I cannot see anything new in the terms with advance payment. I'm sorry I cannot suggest anything more. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lesleymorgs1966, have you heard anything back from them?
    Scope

Brightness