Registering as disabled. Advice needed. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Registering as disabled. Advice needed.

nikkif
nikkif Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
edited July 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all I have been awared lower rate standard living care for the past year but am currently waiting for an appeal which is in 3 weeks finally. However I have just found out that I can get an reduced rate pass for public transport and other concessions which I dont even know what they are but was wondering how I would go about as registering my disabilities in order to be able to apply for this. Can anyone help?? 

Comments

• KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
    I got my free disabled bus pass online from the council.
    I renewed it 5 years later at the library. 
    I registered as disabled with the council as well. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    It's not possible to register as disabled with all local councils. My last 2 locals councils it wasn't possible.  For the disabled person bus pass there's criteria to meet to be automatically entitled to this and you need to look at your local councils website to see what that is. Putting your postcode into this link will take you there. https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-disabled-bus-pass

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi @nikkif
    you can register online for a Blue Badge for parking if you have access to a vehicle. Note you can use this with any vehicle you are travelling in as the badge is registered to the person not the car. Also you can register for a radar key which is a godsend if you need a public loo and have no change.You May have to check that you qualify as not everyone who is registered disabled does. Good luck.
            Debsidoo.x
  • KG100
    I got my Radar key from the local civic offices, cost me £3.
  • Connie00
    Connie00 Community member Posts: 252 Pioneering
    hello @nikkif

you register with your local council

kind regards @Connie00
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2019
    @Connie00 that's not correct for all local councils. I can't register disabled with mine.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • KG100
    I was told that there isn't an official national register for disabled people now.
    I'm pretty sure it's a voluntary scheme run by  some councils. 
    By that I mean we volunteer ourselves to be registered. 
  • Connie00
    Connie00 Community member Posts: 252 Pioneering

Thank you very much @poppy123456 for that information I had no idea this had changed.

Or that being disabled, and getting registered was a postcode lottery.

@nikkif

I am so sorry I gave you the wrong Information

Regards @Connie00

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi

There is no longer a national register of “disabled” people, the scheme was deemed discriminatory years ago.

It was called the “green card scheme”, and was of no benefit to our disabled community.

With reference to disabled bus passes, you need to contact your local authority, as each council has various criterion.

By way of example, I have a disabled bus pass plus companion  which enables someone to travel with me for free ( I need their assistance to travel), this is only provided on a discretionary basis by my local council.

I also have a disabled rail card, where I get discounts on any rail journey for myself and a travelling companion.

Hope this assists.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.